Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness relevant?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness relevant?

I have a pebble sheen pool, does calcium hardness matter?

Current readings: FC 9.0, CC0, PH 7.6, TA 100, CYA 60, CH 400.

The CH has been creeping upwards, but not too fast. How would a high CH affect a pebblesheen pool?
    10,000 gallon, inground, pebblesheen, sand filter, TF-100 testing kit, Pentair Rebel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness relevant?

It matters for scaling AFAIK. If you have a concrete pool with something like Pebbletech then once you get scaling it's hard to get it off and nobody will want to do it for you. It will basically ruin it.
    25,000 Gallons Inground, Gunite
    DE, Hayward Filter
    Loud pump
    Hayward navigator cleaner, leaf hose suction

3. Back To Top    #3

You should not add any more calcium to your pool as your AZ water tends to be very hard already, and with evaporation the calcium you have in there will increase. It tends to be an issue (problem) for folks out west.

BUT...to answer you question fully, yes you need calcium because if your water was light on it it could leech it out from your plaster into the water and weaken your plaster's lifespan.

Here is a guide to recommended levels-->Pool School - Recommended Levels
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, pH, TA and CH are very important to the longevity of your pool finish. Was it new in March? Did you register your warranty on PT's website and receive the 30 day startup and care guide from them?

Your water is prone to high CH and scale. It is important to maintain your CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale. PoolMath will give you the number, adjust PH and TA to adjust CSI. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Properly managed CSI will add a decade or more to the life of your pool finish. Not managing it could result in failure in as little as 5 years. Which would not be covered by PT's warranty.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I try to keep my CSI as close to 0 as possible. The pool tile scaling has been eliminated since I started the TFP method of pool control.

I was basically just curious if CH was as important for a pebblesheen pool as compared to a plaster pool.
    10,000 gallon, inground, pebblesheen, sand filter, TF-100 testing kit, Pentair Rebel

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, Pebble and quartz pools are plaster pools. It is plaster that pebble and quartz are embedded in.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Learn something new everyday, thanks!