Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please - Numbers posted

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Please - Numbers posted

Hello there, thanks in advance for the help. What I thought was some rust from a lawn chair in the pool now is looking like algae. My #'s below. Please advise what I should do please?

NON - SWG pool

FC - 3
    CC - 0
    TC - 3
    CH 300 PPM
    TA - 80
    PH: 7.2
    CYA - 100

Thanks again!

18'x32' IG Pool w/Spa, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, 3HP VS Pump, 420SQ Ft Pentair Filter, Rainbow 320, Pentair Master Temp 400 Heater, TF 100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Please - Numbers posted

Drain half your watter and get ready to SLAM.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

No drain option.....
    18'x32' IG Pool w/Spa, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, Pentair 3hp Intelliflo, 420SQ Ft Pentair Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 Heater, TF 100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Then you will have to keep your FC up about 9-12 ppm and your SLAM value approaches 40 ppm.

Please read the SLAM article. I think that is what's next.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you use the dilution method for your CYA test? If not, see #9 here: Pool School - CYA

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone. Went ahead and threw 20oz of 73% hypo in with a good brush to bring up to slam level.

I did not use the dilution method yet, will try that tomorrow morning.
    18'x32' IG Pool w/Spa, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue, Pentair 3hp Intelliflo, 420SQ Ft Pentair Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 Heater, TF 100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by pool999 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Went ahead and threw 20oz of 73% hypo in with a good brush to bring up to slam level.

I did not use the dilution method yet, will try that tomorrow morning.
    73% calcium hypochlorite? I would use plain bleach instead- your CH is already high at 300 and you said drain is not an option. For your pool volume (20k?) that 20 oz addition raised your FC by 5 ppm to 8 ppm which is still below even maintenance level recommended above let alone SLAM.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    73% calcium hypochlorite? I would use plain bleach instead- your CH is already high at 300 and you said drain is not an option. For your pool volume (20k?) that 20 oz addition raised your FC by 5 ppm to 8 ppm which is still below even maintenance level recommended above let alone SLAM.
    It's all I have at the moment. How much bleach would I need to put in tomorrow morning?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pool999 View Post
    It's all I have at the moment. How much bleach would I need to put in tomorrow morning?
    depends where your FC will be at that moment. You can use PoolMath link at the top to estimate how much. As an example I entered 20K for pool volume and it says 1 gal of 8.25% bleach will bring FC up by about 4.5 ppm.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by max2k View Post
    depends where your FC will be at that moment. You can use PoolMath link at the top to estimate how much. As an example I entered 20K for pool volume and it says 1 gal of 8.25% bleach will bring FC up by about 4.5 ppm.
    Thanks Max

11. Back To Top    #11

Looks like I can get my hands on a pump tomorrow or Sunday. Should I go ahead and bring it to slam levels today? Then drain half tomorrow or Sunday and go from there? Or just wait and drain/refill and go from there?

Also, we've had quite a bit of rain lately. Is it safe to drain half? Or can I drain on one end and fill from the other for say 12 hours and achieve the same effect without actually lowering the water level?

Thanks for all the input!

12. Back To Top    #12

Probably best to drain first as to not waste chemicals and $$ on bleach. Yes, you can add water from one end while draining from the other, but it's not as efficient. Sometimes though, it's your only option when you only have one skimmer and no main drain. But having a pump to use should help quite a bit. Confirm that CYA first following the water exchange then start your SLAM for best results. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

I am missing something....what's the pump for?
    Dave S.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I am missing something....what's the pump for?
    I don't have a drain

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Probably best to drain first as to not waste chemicals and $$ on bleach. Yes, you can add water from one end while draining from the other, but it's not as efficient. Sometimes though, it's your only option when you only have one skimmer and no main drain. But having a pump to use should help quite a bit. Confirm that CYA first following the water exchange then start your SLAM for best results. Good luck!

Thanks Splash.

I just tried the diluted method for the CYA and got 118, so it's definitely high. Also checked my FC again and it's up to 12 since I added shock and what bleach I had on hand last night(obviously not high enough for slam level). I'll wait to pump some water out then bring to slam levels. QUESTION: What can I expect the CYA to be after a 50% water replacement? And do I use the corresponding slam level of the CYA reading AFTER the water replacement? In other words, if my reading after water replacement is 60, then bring it to 24, correct?

Also -anyone know what the solution is in the TF 100 kit for testing CYA? My bottle leaked and I only have enough for probably 2 more tests as I go through this process. Can I get that solution locally?

16. Back To Top    #16

R0013 - Probably get a rush ship at Amazon.
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

It's melamine but I don't know of any application other than pools (although I am sure there are some) Taylor sells it as R-0013 Many pool stores should have it in stock.
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

Just wanted to post an update and new #'s. On Saturday I replaced 50% of my water and started the SLAM process. Numbers below. My PH is high, but pool school tells me PH is inaccurate during SLAM, when should it be accurate again? I know my SLAM FC is high for my CYA (I got a little carried away with the bleach). I plan to do the OCLT tonight.

FC - 34
    CC - 0
    TC - 34
    CH 275
    TA - 120
    PH: 8.2+
    CYA - 55-60

19. Back To Top    #19

Not sure why noone answered you but the ph test is unreliable once you exceed 10 FC. Thats why we adjust the ph before we start the slam

How is your slam going?
    6000 gal, AG vinyl, Intex ultra frame 16ft, 1200 Gallon Sand Filter, DIY Solar, Clear Choice Labs Testing Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks Caco. It's going well, looks like I'm in the clear. Losing less than 1ppm over night and water is clear as can be. Letting it drift down to normal chlorine levels now. My PH was good pre slam so should be good there. Going to need a refill on my solutions after all this testing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast