How maintain bromine level when spa will be open in the sun

Mar 18, 2016
Victoria, BC
Just got a new spa a few days ago. I've done a bunch of reading and think I have a good handle on how everything interacts, as well as what's actually in all the magic products we got in the startup package. (Rather annoying that the vendors try to enforce lock-in by leaving ingredients off their products. Yay for mandatory datasheets. Anyway.

What I'm wondering is, when we have people over on a warm, sunny day, we'll want to leave the spa open so that people can get in and out as they like, as well as just for the ambiance. However, I've definitely noticed that the bromine level drops pretty quickly with the cover off in direct sunlight. What's the best way to ensure that the level doesn't drop to zero while it's out in the sun? We got SpaGuard products with setup, so there's a "brominating concentrate", which I guess is sodium bromide plus some dichlor, brominating tablets (same deal in tablet form), and "Spa Lite", which is a DiChlor shock in weekly dose packets. (Plus an "optimizer" (adds borates) and cleaners and such.)

My guess would be to just add a bit of DiChlor when it's first opened - not shock level, but just a bit to bring the bromide levels up to 5-6 or so, and perhaps again after a few hours if levels are low? Would a non-chlorine shock or something else be more convenient for this?

We're also having an ozone system added soon (was included in purchase but not in stock), which presumably will help somewhat, although I doubt it will be able to keep up with the amount lost to sunlight on its own.

We have a SWG for our pool and it really is almost maintenance free. Would be great to get to a similar place with the spa. (One of the reasons I went with bromine was my understanding that they could be lower maintenance than chlorine with an ozonator and the tablets.. but I didn't realize how fast the sun would eliminate it. Maybe chlorine with a SWG would be a better option?)

I also started out using bromine and then switched to chlorine then went to a SWG.. I would just skip straight to the SWG instead of that ozone system and be happy and easy just like your pool :)

Until then I think using some dichlor will help but you may have to check it a couple times a day when its open like that...

What I do on days like this is keep that blue box with the ph/chlorine testers out right next to the tub. It's so easy to do the test. Then just pour some bleach in as needed.

The problem is the funny looks and wrinkled up noses from the guests.

I guess they'd prefer to have an itchy skin infection.

Thanks for the replies. My thinking with the MPS was that since it reacts slower, it might be easier to keep the level stable through the day. Also it might not freak out the uninitiated as much as watching me dump bleach in the tub! :) I haven't really had a problem maintaining the levels aside from this situation, so I don't feel the need to switch to a SWG for now, but fortunately it's always an option in the future.

It is amazing how quickly the sun kills the bromine though! I shocked it up to ~20ppm this morning, and after 2.5 hours in the sun it was down to 4.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.