I can't seem to get rid of my slight green pool water. Here's my levels:

Free available chlorine: 3.83
    Total Chlorine: 3.83
    Combined chlorine: 0.2
    Alkalinity: 70
    Hardness: 440
    CYA: 45
    Ph: 7.6

My water is super hard where I live. I have a TDS meter and it reads 550 coming out of the tap. So, I don't know if that has anything to do with my haziness.

I keep cleaning my cartridge filter daily and I leave the pump running full time.

My instinct is telling me to slam the pool like I have read on the forum. Though, I am a bit concerned about raising the chlorine ppm to 20 like suggested to on this site.

Any tips or ideas?
    13,000 gal.-A.G.-Cartridge-2 H.P A.O. Smith pump-pool heater-antibacterial silver cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slightly green hazy water

Your instinct is right. If it's green that means there is living algae in the pool. The only way to eliminate that is to kill it and let the pump filter it out. Grab the bleach (or liquid chlorine if you can get a good price on it) and get to mixing.
    My pool: ~22.6K gallon. 16'x32' with 8 foot deep. 10 year old vinyl liner (prayers)
    Century A.O. Smith UST1202 56J C-Face 2 HP Single Speed Up Rated Pool Filter Motor, 19.6/10.4-9.8A 115/208-230V
    Hayward S244T ProSeries 24" In- Ground Sand Pool Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you need to SLAM to kill the algae. There is no risk with raising FC to shock level for your CYA. Shock level for your CYA actually has less active chlorine that 1 ppm of chlorine with no CYA.

Here is the process, SLAM
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by nicnut45 View Post
    I can't seem to get rid of my slight green pool water. Here's my levels:

Free available chlorine: 3.83
    Total Chlorine: 3.83
    Combined chlorine: 0.2
    Alkalinity: 70
    Hardness: 440
    CYA: 45
    Ph: 7.6

My water is super hard where I live. I have a TDS meter and it reads 550 coming out of the tap. So, I don't know if that has anything to do with my haziness.

I keep cleaning my cartridge filter daily and I leave the pump running full time.

My instinct is telling me to slam the pool like I have read on the forum. Though, I am a bit concerned about raising the chlorine ppm to 20 like suggested to on this site.

Any tips or ideas?
    I have couple questions:
    - what did you use to measure FC with 3 significant digits?
    - how do you chlorinate your water?
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

@max2k. The result actually came from a pool store. Although I do test the water myself with an hth test kit. (Not the strips).

I used to chlorinate the water with calcium hypochlorite. I am switching to bleach now per the advice given on this website