Heater sizing

Jun 22, 2016
FL
After following so many recent build projects, I am thinking maybe my heater is too small (Hayward 5hp 140k btu)? We will likely only ever heat the entire pool (34x17 free form; 4-5 feet) for 2 months out of the year but we will use the spa frequently (approx 1-2 times per week). Spa size is 7 foot round. Any thoughts on if I should upgrade before our build?

maybe referencing his pump which seems way over sized if it really is 5hp.

I'm 16x32 3.5 to 7 feet with a 250k btu heater. I'm satisfied with the performance and cost (about $ 30 a month for gas, only using when needed) so that one you have seems a bit small if your asking about it.

As I understand it after doing more research after confusing myself, electric heat pump options only go up to 140K BTU, while gas heaters go up to 400K+ BTU. The heat pump is more cost effective but takes longer to heat. Given I live in south florida and do not have natural gas or propane, the heat pump is a no brainer for me. It may struggle to get my spa to 103-105, but itll do the trick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.