Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large Bubbles

1. Back To Top    #1

Large Bubbles

Hi Everyone,

Have been reading on here all summer and I want to thank everyone for all the help you've given me without having to ask. I am having a new issue though I thought might be better if I ask. We bought a house with a pool last year and had no major issues all summer, however we've started to hit some issues this year.

I have a 26k gallon Vinyl chlorine based pool with a main drain and 1 skimmer and 2 return ports. About a month ago I started to get small bubbles from the return jets and the situation has been getting worse and worse over the last month. When i turn my 3 way port to the skimmer it works fine with no bubbles at all. As soon as I move that valve away from 100% skimmer I start to get bubbles and will lose prime quickly (5 seconds) if I go 100% main drain. The kicker is that if I turn the pump off, I don't lose prime (or it takes a lot longer if it does) even if I'm 100% main drain.

What do you think could be the issue? I ordered a new 3 way valve and it's on the way, but do you think that would be the issue? Thanks in advance.

Attached photo's for reference:
    IMG_0704.jpg IMG_0705.jpg

As a side note, I don't know if it pertains to the above question but my pool keeps losing water to right below the skimmer line, could the leak have something to do with the bubbles? It always gets to the same spot and doesn't go any lower but it happens quickly (fill up to the top and it will be below the skimmer line in less than 24 hours).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Large Bubbles

I'd say first thing is turn the valve 50/50 so you get the air bubbles you mention, then run a garden hose (not full strength) on the suction plumbing and see if the air goes away. Start low and then work upwards.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

More here on tracking down suction leaks, Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you brushing debris toward the MD in the hopes of cleaning it up?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. I'm sorry I had to leave for work on short notice and just got home today. I don't typically brush anything toward the main drain aside from any algae that forms. Also, I tried the water trick and had no change in air bubbles. Even wrapped a towel along all of the unions toward the MD and soaked the towel and no change, still losing prime in ~5 seconds. Pooldv, I'll check that forum out and let you know if anything comes up.

I'm thinking it may be below ground on the MD side, It's just crazy for me to think that its sucking that much air if the union is below ground.