Hello Linda Friesen from Sunny San Diego

Hello, Just found your site yesterday while researching how to remove yellow algae from your pool. I have recently taken over the pool testing of our pool as my wife seems to be a bit lazy about testing regularly. We had bought a test kit from Leslies and it only had the DPD chlorine test so last night I purchased the FAS/DPD chlorine test kit separate and now wish I had purchased the stir kit....So thank you for all the info, look forward to clear chemically balanced pools!!
Thank you
Linda Friesen

So I received my FAS-DPD chlorine drop test:
I did the 25 ml water sample test, it says to use 2 scoops powder and swirl...what if it turns pink with one scoop? use only 1 or use the 2

For these test results I did use 2 as directions said:
took 24 drops r-0871 to turn clear
so 24 x2 = 48ppm Free Chlorine?
added the 5 drops r-0003 barely turned pink very blush
took 1 drop of the R-0871 to turn clear
so my Combined chlorine is 2 ppm?

rereading the pool chemistry section
24 drops x.2 ppm = 4.8 ppm x 2 scoop = 9.6 ppm free chlorine?
Not sure if I'm doing this right and if my test results are off
any input would be helpful

New test : following directions on site pool chemistry
filled to 10ml
2 scoops powder
10 drops of R0871 to turn clear
added the 5 drops of R-0003 honestly if it's pink it's very blush so it would be 1 drop or less to turn clear again
my test water was a cloudy white fyi
so if I'm reading this right
my FC= 5
CC= 0 to .5pm thinking my above test with the 25ml read at 2ppm so it would be .2ppm

My free chlorine makes sense as yesterday the pool was a little cloudy due to me forgetting to go get chlorine earlier in the week. Added 2 gallons just yesterday
pool is crystal clear this morning, our stabilizer puck holder had got taken out of pool and we forgot to put it back in so the stabilizer is on the low side.
So I think I know how to take the test now, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
Welcome!

If you are using the 25ml sample, multiply drops by 0.2

Your 24 drops x 0.2 = 4.8ppm

You can use the 10ml sample size, and you would multiply by 0.5 (or just divide by 2). 24 drops in 10ml = 12ppm. This is accurate enough. This will also help save on testing chemicals.

One heaping scoop of powder is all that is usually needed.

Don't hesitate with any other questions you may have.

Nice to have you here.