Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12" steps to slide?

1. Back To Top    #1

dallas, tx

12" steps to slide?

We have a pool and slide under construction. The stone steps to the pool slide have been made to be 12" steps. The stone guys did that without asking us but just looked at a good place for a stopping point and then calculated the steps and it worked out to 12". There is actually plenty of room to add in a couple more steps and our pool builder is fine with redoing it to have more steps so they aren't so high. My question is what is a good height for these type of steps? Is 9" still too high?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

Re: 12" steps to slide?

Wow. 12" inch steps is quite a leap. Most all steps people encounter are going to be around 7"-8" rise so this is what our bodies have become used to. I know this is not a staircase but they should be installed somewhat close to what what we know. The most important thing is that they are all the same. We stayed at a beach house this year and the top step was slightly more than 1" higher than the rest but everybody tripped over that step all week long. You would think one would get used to it but after taking 12 steps at 7" and the very last one is 8" got us almost every time. I don't think a consistent 9" would be a bad rise.

16 x 36 IG Vinyl, 20,000 gal, chlorine, built 2001
    Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter S210T
    All in with TFP , testing with tf-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I would think six or seven would be good. Nine seems high to me. You should check if your Code restricts how high it could be
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

7-7.5 is pretty standard for indoor residential steps. That would probably be the most comfortable.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Agreed. 7-8 is stabdard

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    12' x 24' (21100 gal) Doughboy Desert Spring w/ Deep End, Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed,
    Hayward S210T Pro Series, Hayward H100ID1 H-Series , Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ AquaTrol Salt, TF-100