Skimmer sock - all the time or just occassionally?

MikeInTN said:
OK, here are two better pictures of how a skimmer sock fits on the skimmer basket:

This is a new skimmer sock, so it does pull tight across the opening of the basket when you put it on; however, when the pump starts pulling water through the sock, it'll pull it down against the basket, and over time, the sock will stretch to where it's not tight across the opening at all.

Ahhh...My skimmer sock is about the same size, but my skimmer basket is about twice that size, so the way your sock is tight around the edges, mine does across the entire top. Perhaps I will try some nylon knee highs or something.

wespendarvis said:
MikeInTN said:
OK, here are two better pictures of how a skimmer sock fits on the skimmer basket:

This is a new skimmer sock, so it does pull tight across the opening of the basket when you put it on; however, when the pump starts pulling water through the sock, it'll pull it down against the basket, and over time, the sock will stretch to where it's not tight across the opening at all.

Ahhh...My skimmer sock is about the same size, but my skimmer basket is about twice that size, so the way your sock is tight around the edges, mine does across the entire top. Perhaps I will try some nylon knee highs or something.

Now I have skimmer basket envy... :oops: It should still work. The water should pull the sock down tight against the basket when the pump's running.

I am in the middle of a BIG clean-up and my skimmer socks have proved invaluable. They are catching all the little pine needles that would otherwise clog up my pump basket quickly, as was the case for two weeks before I got smart, with a little help :)

I have an empty Soda Ash container with pool water in it, I turned the skimmer basket with the sock on upside down and swish it around to get the gunk off and it has been working great. I think I have the process down to a science now, but my pool is still thinking otherwise. It remains green!

wespendarvis said:
MikeInTN said:

Nice pix, Mike :goodjob:

My skimer basket is also about twice that size. I purchased some skimmer socks from one of the the local pool stores and they were too small. The AquaChem skimmer screens from WallyWorld fit perfectly. Just more info on the socks! :mrgreen:

Butterfly said:
wespendarvis said:
MikeInTN said:

Nice pix, Mike :goodjob:

My skimer basket is also about twice that size. I purchased some skimmer socks from one of the the local pool stores and they were too small. The AquaChem skimmer screens from WallyWorld fit perfectly. Just more info on the socks! :mrgreen:

Ummmm...that is an AquaChem skimmer sock from Wallyworld...maybe I just got big hands??? :mrgreen:

I used skimmer socks on my old AG and now am purchasing for my new IG that uses an Aqua Genie instead of the traditional skimmer/returns. The basket in the Aqua Genie is really big and I knew that the traditional skimmer sock and Wal-Mart knee high would be a tight fit and perhaps run. (I haven't tried the Big Mama sizes!)

I purchased the regular skimmer socks 5pk for $3.00 + $2 for shipping on eBay (for those of you who do not want to try the cheaper Wal-Mart pantyhose version). I also found larger/oversized ones that I have just ordered so I will let you know how they work. You can find them on eBay by searching "THE BEST FILTER SAVER SKIMMER SOCKS EVER MADE" I am trying this lady's 2 pk for about $10 with shipping. Sounds great and they are HUGE... I will let you know how they work.

reallytiredteacher said:
I also found larger/oversized ones that I have just ordered so I will let you know how they work. You can find them on eBay by searching "THE BEST FILTER SAVER SKIMMER SOCKS EVER MADE" I am trying this lady's 2 pk for about $10 with shipping. Sounds great and they are HUGE... I will let you know how they work.

How have these worked out? I see them on Ebay for $8 for a pair. If they last a long time that would be worthwhile, as the 5 pack I have now from Blue Devil brand lasted about 6 months with 2 skimmers in use.

reallytiredteacher said:
Just got the eBay jumbo skimmer socks in the mail (2/$10 with shipping)...I'm out of town so I'll try 'em out and give a review in a couple days.
:goodjob:
I've been using the regular skimmer socks for a couple of years now. They work wonders in picking up debris and crud that otherwise would make it to your filter media. Also, like yourself, I have an AquaGenie that is pretty large so the standard sock when I put it on almost starts running immediately. We've recently purchased "THE BEST FILTER SAVER SKIMMER SOCKS EVER MADE" off of ebay and I'm awaiting your review before ours arrives probably next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like this ebay skimmer sock...it's huge and my inground Auqa Genie basket is a monster! I've only used it a week or so but there were 2 in the pack so I switch them out, let the dirty one dry inside out and shake the junk off and then trade and repeat. For the price ($10 on ebay for 2 with shipping) they seem like they are good quality, only time will tell. They are not stretchy nylon like others I've had in the past. They are more like a super fine, light, tightly woven mesh stuff. They trap a lot of junk. Eeeeew!!! I think the auction said they're homemade, but if so it's a professional job. Sewn and serged edges and elastic is secure at the top. I'm happy with my purchase.

Anyone having a problem with their skimmer socks catching so much stuff that they get clogged up and your pump isn't getting all the water it needs?

For instance, when I run my pump on high, my sock get clogged up with junk and its preventing the suction of the pump enough that my filter basket isn't always staying all the way full

cpjolicoeur said:
Anyone having a problem with their skimmer socks catching so much stuff that they get clogged up and your pump isn't getting all the water it needs?

For instance, when I run my pump on high, my sock get clogged up with junk and its preventing the suction of the pump enough that my filter basket isn't always staying all the way full

You just need to clean them more often.... and I find it helps to take a bucket of pool water and dunk the basket with sock attached so that a lot of the fine junk is washed off. It is faster than using the hose and easier than switching to a fresh sock to wash the old one.

But if you have a lot of pine needles like I do right now, you just have to be more diligent about cleaning it once a day or more. That stuff is either in the sock or in the filter, your choice as to which is easier to deal with.

cpjolicoeur said:

I have a flowering tree that drops blossoms all summer. I tried using a skimmer sock to keep all those tissue paper thin blooms out of my DE filter. I got distracted and did not check the skimmer for an hour. The blossoms had choked down the water intake which (I assume)caused the pump to suck harder to move the water. Anyway I found the basket full of blooms that had cracked the skimmer basket vertically alone one side. When I went to the pool store for a new skimmer basket, the clerk pointed to a display of skimmer socks and told me "That won't happen if you use one of these!" I explained that one of those was what caused the basket to crack in the first place! She didn't say anything else!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.