Skimmer sock - all the time or just occassionally?

I was using the skimmer sock and having to clean it daily or more. I now am using a little DE in my sand filter- maybe I am catching not quite as much as the skimmer sock, but those socks get nasty and if you forget a day...what a mess. During really high pollen season, I go back to the skimmer sock to double up. But so far I am content that the DE is doing more or less the same thing. The water is beautiful all the time. I have a big sand filter, so it has never actually gotten enough of a pressure rise to require backwashing. I just do it right after we have vacuumed up a lot of pollen or fine dirt to get it out of the system. And then of course add a cup of fresh DE back in again.

Okay - let me show my ignorance - why use skimmer socks at all? Sounds like an extra layer of complication and it sounds like everyone finds value in using them but I don't get it.

With regular water chem level maintenance our water is always as crystal clear as we could imagine. Our Hayward C-900 in-line filter cartridge has seemed to be all we have needed with our AGP for over 20 years.

Our Hayward "Super Pump" has a very powerful suction for water and I would think that fine nylon would impede water flow through our skimmer.

I know our AGP filtration system is non-standard and maybe that's the answer to our question but we sincerely want to know why anyone would need to implement this extra filtration step with their pool??

Thanks
Jim

Don't knock it till you try it. :hammer:

Cartridge filters tend to filter smaller particles better than sand filters, it's often recommended for the sand filters to use the skimmer socks to reduce the frequency of backwashing, which requires water replacement which can affect water chemistry. Its easier to clean out a skimmer sock than take apart a cart filter for frequent cleaning, so it's sort of a shortcut or temporary bandaid. Perhaps if you have a rather lardge cartridge frequent cleaning is not an issue for your pool.

The reason I put up with the extra step of cleaning the skimmer sock is because I have a lot of landscaping/vegetation surrounding my pool, and I'm hoping the extra layer of filtration will make cleaning the filter easier in the future. It almost has to judging from the Crud I rinse from the sock daily.

I've accumulated about 10 socks now. I just take out the nasty one, turn it inside-out and lay it aside somewhere to dry (when dry, I slap all the dried nasties off and then machine wash it), and pop a clean sock back in. Takes about one minute!

When all the socks are dirty, I zip them into the small laundry bag and wash them in hot water and let them dry naturally.

imjay said:
Okay - let me show my ignorance - why use skimmer socks at all? Sounds like an extra layer of complication and it sounds like everyone finds value in using them but I don't get it.
Why not try them and find out for yourself? They are certainly inexpensive enough and many Ace hardware sell them so you migh not even need to go to a pool store. Perhaps you are afraid to find out that your water is not as clear and clean as you think it is?
With regular water chem level maintenance our water is always as crystal clear as we could imagine. Our Hayward C-900 in-line filter cartridge has seemed to be all we have needed with our AGP for over 20 years.
clear water is not always properly sanitized water.
Our Hayward "Super Pump" has a very powerful suction for water and I would think that fine nylon would impede water flow through our skimmer.
It won't. The super pump is a decent pump but I am surprised that you don't have a powerflo matrix since that pump is made for AGPs and the super pump is an inground pump.
I know our AGP filtration system is non-standard and maybe that's the answer to our question but we sincerely want to know why anyone would need to implement this extra filtration step with their pool??
What is non standard? the self priming pump? The c900 is a very common filter for AGPs and many AGPs have trichlo feeders plumbed in. Your setup is more common than you think
Thanks
Jim

I don't think Jim is putting down the use of skimmer socks, nor is he bragging on his pool or anything like that! He's simply stating that his pool is consistently clear and sincerely asking if the socks are all they're cracked up to be. And the answer is "absolutely YES"!

Jim, I'd think you'd be surprised if you tried one in your skimmer. See what you find after sweeping your pool and leave the pump on for a little while :-D We have a problem with pollen, but our water is always crystal clear. But give it a day or two and check that sock....I think you'd be surprised. I will say, though, that since we began using our robotic, with the fine bag, all the stuff that used to get caught in the sock now gets caught in the bot's bag and I find very little in the sock - it takes a few more days now...

OK. now I feel stupid. Do you put the sock/knee hi on the inside of the basket or the outside? If I put it on the outside of the basket I am afraid the suction will pull it into the hose and jam up the pump, but when I put it on the inside of the basket it doesn't look right. Please help since I have had some problems with my pump impeller jamming up with crud and small particles of whatever.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cherie said:
I don't think Jim is putting down the use of skimmer socks, nor is he bragging on his pool or anything like that! He's simply stating that his pool is consistently clear and sincerely asking if the socks are all they're cracked up to be. And the answer is "absolutely YES"!

Jim, I'd think you'd be surprised if you tried one in your skimmer. See what you find after sweeping your pool and leave the pump on for a little while :-D We have a problem with pollen, but our water is always crystal clear. But give it a day or two and check that sock....I think you'd be surprised. I will say, though, that since we began using our robotic, with the fine bag, all the stuff that used to get caught in the sock now gets caught in the bot's bag and I find very little in the sock - it takes a few more days now...

Cherie,
I have to say this to anyone not using a sock...I have been pulling daily an eigth inch layer of dirt and crud off of my sock...It is almost like the dry lint you get from cleaning your clothes dryer filter....It just peels right off wet or dry. It is nasty. I then think about how much of that would be getting trapped in my filter, and how often this spring I would have to clean my filter. That is why I use it. Besides...There is so much pollen and cotton floating in the air...I just assume clean it out now then to have to clean the filter out later on.

Carneymom said:
OK. now I feel stupid. Do you put the sock/knee hi on the inside of the basket or the outside? If I put it on the outside of the basket I am afraid the suction will pull it into the hose and jam up the pump, but when I put it on the inside of the basket it doesn't look right. Please help since I have had some problems with my pump impeller jamming up with crud and small particles of whatever.
Don't feel stupid...er, don't feel like you're the only stupid one! :lol: I was putting my sock on the outside of the basket. :oops: Um, I think I'll correct that when I get home... :hammer:

OK, here are two better pictures of how a skimmer sock fits on the skimmer basket:

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

This is a new skimmer sock, so it does pull tight across the opening of the basket when you put it on; however, when the pump starts pulling water through the sock, it'll pull it down against the basket, and over time, the sock will stretch to where it's not tight across the opening at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.