Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner of old IG spa, what to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

New owner of old IG spa, what to do?

I bought a house that has a big old in ground spa in fair condition. Not sure yet if it is a blessing or curse. Equipment is kind of functional, spa itself is Cal Spas fibreglass, cracked like crazy and someone tried to mend it with glue I guess. The previous owners had a pool guy and his service has just expired. Can I save/use this thing or is it a lost cause???

P1050150.jpg20160615_131907.jpg

I don't have a chemical tester yet. The chlorine is applied using tablets in a float. The pump circulates OK near as I can tell. It also has an operational air bubble control. Both of these are operated via air switches next to the timer box. The timer box does not seem to work, at least the timer doesn't advance. The filter looks new although I don't know if it really has a filter (cartridge?) in it. I would assume so. The gas heater looks Apollo era and seems to work at least a little. The outlet pipe only seems to get warm, not hot. I don't have a thermometer in the spa yet. I think that is the extent of my knowledge. The controls on the spa itself I think are disabled.

Should I fix/replace the timer? Any recommendations? Google tells me it's something like:

Air Operated Controls

or

Len Gordon FF-1094TC 24-Hour Timers on Sale at YourPoolHQ

I think

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New owner of old IG spa, what to do?

I just thought I would update this old thread to show that the spa is operational. I'm still learning about chemicals, but the mechanical part works fine and the new finish is cute.
    spa_and_floatie_s.jpg
    Renovated large spa from 1985 or earlier.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New owner of old IG spa, what to do?

Very nice indeed! What a face lift! Do you have one of the recommended test kits that you are using to assist in learning about chemicals?
    310 gallon Tiger River Sumatran Spa, covered, standalone, fiberglass, Bleach
    11,000 gallon in-ground plaster pool, Hayward SmartFilter 550 (cartridge), CompuPool(Hayward) T-15 SWG, Hayward Super II pump
    Taylor Test Kit K-2006C, K-1766, SampleSizer, SpeedStir, Polaris P825