Water inlet placement

Tassy

Aug 18, 2016
England
HI,

I have an above ground pool, 20 x 16ft and 4ft deep. I am curious about the science behind why heated pool water comes in near the top, as opposed to near the bottom (where it could rise up through the cooler water and warm it).

Whenever we get into the pool, the top foot is warm, then it gets colder as you get towards the bottom (as heat rises!) Once stirred by a quick swim, it levels out but if you don't swim in it daily (stirring it up), the heater is fooled by the top foot of warm water into thinking it has reached temperature, when the stirred temperature is actually quite a way below what you want it to be.

When swimming on holiday in a complex pool, I also noticed the warm water comes in near the top.

Why is it designed that way? It doesn't seem logical.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Pools need circulation at the top to move floating debris to the skimmers before it sinks. Most pools have eyeballs on the returns that could be pointed in a more downward direction to mix water and prevent heat stratification in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.