Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No flow

1. Back To Top    #1

No flow

Hi, my new SWG has worked for a year, but now indicates "no flow" light. Its an aquarite/goldline/hayward.

I pulled the sensor. It looks magnetic:

Flow Switch Replacement for Hayward Salt Systems

I pulled the sensor and plugged the opening. I turned the pump on, then hand closed the flow switch and opened it. No change.
    Next step is to open the front plate and wiggle the plug. The flow is fine, just changed the filter, the flow to the pool is rapid,
    there is only one tube to the pool and it is on it.

Any suggestions before I drop 32 bucks for a new one?

Thanks,

Scott Franco

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No flow

Don't you want to take advantage of the 3 yr warranty?

The flow switch is similar to a light switch (ON/OFF). Do you have access to a DVM to probe? Or temporarily bypass the switch using a 2 wire telephone extension cord to test. Cut the other end, twist together the 2 wire, insulate with electrical tape and plug it in. Turn on the pump. If it works then you know the switch is bad. If not, then you need to dig deeper into the Main board or call for warranty.

Good luck!
    20k gallons, IG plaster with raised Spa, Hayward C-4000 cartridge, Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP, Hayward H400 gas heater, Hayward Super II (2HP) Spa jets, Hayward Swimpure Plus T-15,
    Intermatic PS3000 SPD, PureLine-PureColor LED's, Dolphin Triton cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006, K-1766, OTO Test kit & various Guess strips.

3. Back To Top    #3

Good advice above. Need a little more troubleshooting before you buy parts or call for warranty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    Don't you want to take advantage of the 3 yr warranty?

The flow switch is similar to a light switch (ON/OFF). Do you have access to a DVM to probe? Or temporarily bypass the switch using a 2 wire telephone extension cord to test. Cut the other end, twist together the 2 wire, insulate with electrical tape and plug it in. Turn on the pump. If it works then you know the switch is bad. If not, then you need to dig deeper into the Main board or call for warranty.

Good luck!
    So sounds like it is a reed switch driven by a magnet. Will try ohming it out, and the bypass thing.

The 3 year warranty probably has passed. I have a bad habit of buying pool things then letting them sit until I get around to installing them. My bad.

Thanks for the good info!

Scott

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
    So sounds like it is a reed switch driven by a magnet. Will try ohming it out, and the bypass thing.

The 3 year warranty probably has passed. I have a bad habit of buying pool things then letting them sit until I get around to installing them. My bad.

Thanks for the good info!

Scott
    Following up, I found the line to the flow sensor was chopped. I'd like to blame it on the rat that has been hanging out in the pool equipment shed, but the cut looks too mechanical for that. It is tie wrapped out of the way, but I have been doing work on the plumbing, so clearly I did it somehow.

I'm going to take the opportunity to shorten it as well, its like 3 yards of line for the 2 foot run I need.

Thanks again for the help.

Scott

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a common problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!