Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool leak

1. Back To Top    #1
    Homer Glen, IL

Pool leak

I have a 20X40 in ground pool with a concrete base & fiberglass walls. The pool has been in the ground since the early to mid 80's. I've been losing about 2" of water a day for the past week. I've plugged the skimmers & not run the pump for a day & I am still losing the same amount of water. I do not notice an "wet" areas around the pool. It does have a concrete patio that is anywhere from 10' to 3' surrounding the pool so I am not sure if I would see any wet areas. What would the steps to start searching for the source of the leak?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Pool leak

The most likely culprits are around skimmers, lights and returns. You can let the water leak until it stops and that will point to the area where the leak is. Or you can get some dye or food coloring and check for leaks at these areas.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Pool leak

Look at the wall seams where each panel meets the next. Look at the floor and wall seam also. Do you see any cracks on the concrete floor. Take the light out of the light niche and use red food coloring or phenol red to see if the conduit for the light cord is leaking.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics