Switching from EZ pool

Ms1780

Aug 17, 2016
Oronogo, mo
I'm almost out of the gold powder known as EZ pool. $240 for 20 lbs at 3 lbs a week plus Dychlor after a heavy rain and a 3" tablet once a week. It's breaking the bank. I entered to go to a weekly shock and chlorine tablets daily but I think I'll try this method with the liquid bleach.

Is there anything other than test and enter into pool school and add what it says to switch from my old method?

Also, if I'm understanding correctly you never shock with this method?

Mike

I ordered the Taylor K-2006 today. It will be here Monday. My biggest concern with this method is we play a lot of travel baseball in the summer and we are out of town almost every weekend from Friday to Sunday afternoon. I guess I can use tablets during this time.

You'll be fine to raise the FC a little above target before you leave on the weekends. Once you know your pool's appetite you can test/add every 1-2 days.

However, you may want to look into a SWG for additional peace of mind.

Last edited:
OMG! That is enormously expensive pool care *and* is adding copper to your pool water- never something we recommend!! Any problems noticed with stains or green hair??
Please see this- Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

I'd suggest a SWG. I maybe spend $100 a year on my pool, and that includes testing reagent refills.

Yes it is very expensive, but it did seem to work well so far. Now, we just installed the pool in June of this year so it has not been in use very long. I created a spreadsheet comparing the Ez Pool with a shock once a month and a 3" chlorine tablet once a week and it was pushing a grand for a pool that is open May - mid September. We have zero trees and get sun until late afternoon so I wouldn't think my pool should consume a bunch of chlorine. I may get the SWG but we got conned out of $2000 by a fake pool company on the sale/install of the pool so not looking to spend another grand very soon.

We were sold the Ez Pool under the false pretense that it would actually save us money in the long run but now I know better.

You are going to want/need to figure out how much copper is in your water because the "EZ Pool" may have completely screwed up your water. If your copper levels are too high, switching to bleach/liquid chlorine may not be possible. You could seriously cause metal staining.

Please get your water tested for copper and report back BEFORE you make any changes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are going to want/need to figure out how much copper is in your water because the "EZ Pool" may have completely screwed up your water. If your copper levels are too high, switching to bleach/liquid chlorine may not be possible. You could seriously cause metal staining.

Please get your water tested for copper and report back BEFORE you make any changes.

How do you do a copper test? I don't believe the test kit I ordered does copper.

Copper is 0.1.
FC 0.07
PH 7.7
TA 65
CA 32

I added 5 lbs of alkalinity increase that I had. I'll use baking soda from now on. I'll test again Monday when I get my test kit but it looks pretty good. Once I finish my last little bit of ez pool I'll add enough bleach to bring up my FC to an acceptable level. Dollar tree has gallon jugs fo $1 but I'm not sure of its strength.

That copper level is low enough but zero copper is best. Try to backwash and exchange pool water with fresh water as much as you can going forward. You'll also want to keep your pH and TA on the lower side of the recommended levels as copper scaling is less likely at lower pH. You'll also want to avoid having to SLAM your pool as much as you can which means maintaining a very clean pool and keeping tight control over your chlorine levels. Chlorine is an oxidizer and will cause copper staining if you you ever get into a situation where you have high pH and high FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.