Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching from EZ pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching from EZ pool

I'm almost out of the gold powder known as EZ pool. $240 for 20 lbs at 3 lbs a week plus Dychlor after a heavy rain and a 3" tablet once a week. It's breaking the bank. I entered to go to a weekly shock and chlorine tablets daily but I think I'll try this method with the liquid bleach.

Is there anything other than test and enter into pool school and add what it says to switch from my old method?

Also, if I'm understanding correctly you never shock with this method?

Mike
    27' above ground
    Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching from EZ pool

I see now that you "slam" and don't shock. So, since my FC levels are near zero because EZ Pool is a chlorine free product would I need to slam it even though I have no issues?
    27' above ground
    Sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have a tet kit and testing numbers for us to see?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Here is the kit that I bought TFTestkits.net I definitely recommend the speedstir! That thing makes life easy. Lucky for me I started my pool ownership career the TFP way but if you follow what these people suggest you'll defiantly be EZ poolin it!
    Little ole baby pool. 14' x 42" Pro Series 3300G pool. AG Vinyl with metal frame. Currently installed are a Intex pump/sand filter SF60110 3000GPH and Intex SWG ECO8110. Filled with city water. TF100 Test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I ordered the Taylor K-2006 today. It will be here Monday. My biggest concern with this method is we play a lot of travel baseball in the summer and we are out of town almost every weekend from Friday to Sunday afternoon. I guess I can use tablets during this time.
    27' above ground
    Sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

You'll be fine to raise the FC a little above target before you leave on the weekends. Once you know your pool's appetite you can test/add every 1-2 days.

However, you may want to look into a SWG for additional peace of mind.
    Last edited by Mr Bruce; 08-18-2016 at 12:08 PM. Reason: peach of mind. Ha. Almost left it.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Plus 1 on the SWG. Easy right there. A lot less work IMO.

Little ole baby pool. 14' x 42" Pro Series 3300G pool. AG Vinyl with metal frame. Currently installed are a Intex pump/sand filter SF60110 3000GPH and Intex SWG ECO8110. Filled with city water. TF100 Test kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

OMG! That is enormously expensive pool care *and* is adding copper to your pool water- never something we recommend!! Any problems noticed with stains or green hair??
    Please see this- Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

I'd suggest a SWG. I maybe spend $100 a year on my pool, and that includes testing reagent refills.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    OMG! That is enormously expensive pool care *and* is adding copper to your pool water- never something we recommend!! Any problems noticed with stains or green hair??
    Please see this- Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

I'd suggest a SWG. I maybe spend $100 a year on my pool, and that includes testing reagent refills.

Yes it is very expensive, but it did seem to work well so far. Now, we just installed the pool in June of this year so it has not been in use very long. I created a spreadsheet comparing the Ez Pool with a shock once a month and a 3" chlorine tablet once a week and it was pushing a grand for a pool that is open May - mid September. We have zero trees and get sun until late afternoon so I wouldn't think my pool should consume a bunch of chlorine. I may get the SWG but we got conned out of $2000 by a fake pool company on the sale/install of the pool so not looking to spend another grand very soon.

We were sold the Ez Pool under the false pretense that it would actually save us money in the long run but now I know better.
    27' above ground
    Sand filter

10. Back To Top    #10

You are going to want/need to figure out how much copper is in your water because the "EZ Pool" may have completely screwed up your water. If your copper levels are too high, switching to bleach/liquid chlorine may not be possible. You could seriously cause metal staining.

Please get your water tested for copper and report back BEFORE you make any changes.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    You are going to want/need to figure out how much copper is in your water because the "EZ Pool" may have completely screwed up your water. If your copper levels are too high, switching to bleach/liquid chlorine may not be possible. You could seriously cause metal staining.

Please get your water tested for copper and report back BEFORE you make any changes.
    How do you do a copper test? I don't believe the test kit I ordered does copper.
    27' above ground
    Sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I called the pool store and they can test for copper so I will run a sample by this evening and post results. Thanks for all the replies.
    27' above ground
    Sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Copper is 0.1.
    FC 0.07
    PH 7.7
    TA 65
    CA 32

I added 5 lbs of alkalinity increase that I had. I'll use baking soda from now on. I'll test again Monday when I get my test kit but it looks pretty good. Once I finish my last little bit of ez pool I'll add enough bleach to bring up my FC to an acceptable level. Dollar tree has gallon jugs fo $1 but I'm not sure of its strength.
    27' above ground
    Sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

That copper level is low enough but zero copper is best. Try to backwash and exchange pool water with fresh water as much as you can going forward. You'll also want to keep your pH and TA on the lower side of the recommended levels as copper scaling is less likely at lower pH. You'll also want to avoid having to SLAM your pool as much as you can which means maintaining a very clean pool and keeping tight control over your chlorine levels. Chlorine is an oxidizer and will cause copper staining if you you ever get into a situation where you have high pH and high FC levels.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates