Will A Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer Work?

Sep 28, 2014
Corona, CA
Will a Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer work as part of testing pool salt levels? The reason I ask is because I've tried different ways of measuring my pool salt. One device says one thing, my display says another, the pool store nearby says another, it's all different.

No, ocean water is around 35,000 ppm and pool water is around 3500 ppm. Salt tests and the cell are +/- 400 ppm. It is just to get in the ballpark. As Duraleigh says if your cell is happy and making chlorine the number doesn't matter.

Salt tests are designed to get you into the ballpark with the SWG. If you are within the margin of error and within the recommended level of the salt cell mfg and the cell is not giving en error light and is making chlorine then life is good. But, as cells age and begin to fail they can give erroneous error messages and this is when the salt test becomes more important. If the cell and the test are off by 600-800+ ppm then there could be an issue with the cell sensor or scale in the cell.

For example, my SWG will operate with salt between 2800 and 4500 ppm. If the cell is making chlorine and says 3800 and the salt test says 3200 then everything is fine. If the cell says low salt error and 2700 ppm and the salt test says 3200 then you should add salt to make the SWG happy. If the cell says low salt and 2700 ppm and the salt test says 3800 ppm then you need to examine the cell more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.