Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just want to introduce myself and ask what I need to do first

1. Back To Top    #1

Just want to introduce myself and ask what I need to do first

Hello All,

About to take possession of a house with a pool. I have never owned a pool, so I'm a little scared. I have read the "Pool School" and other parts of forum. Based on what I have read, I ordered the TF-100 Test Kit.The kit will not arrive until August 24th, I take possession of house August 19th. What do I need to do first? What chemicals should I have on hand? Should I have pool company maintain until I receive test kit? I am going to pay a company for a "Pool School". This will make my wife feel better

The pool is IG, Gunite with Quartz plaster. Doesn't appear very big 8-10,000 Gallons, if I remember correctly. I will measure and post results later. The system is Chlorine. Had the entire system inspected, but don't have pump information in front of me. Hope you have enough information. I will post system hardware at a later time.

Thanks for your help and look forward to becoming a active member

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just want to introduce myself and ask what I need to do first

Welcome. When are you going to take over the house. Homeschool from a local company sounds like a good idea but if you're going to follow the TFC message you will likely end up confused. If you post pictures of your pool and pool pump area the forum can probably help you understand it well enough to figure it out.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here...

The only chemicals that you will use on a regular basis are bleach/Chlorine and Muriatic Acid (MA). Having them on hand will not hurt anything.

The only thing I would add to the pool would be about a half a jug of bleach each day until your kit arrives. Please make sure any bleach is non-scented and not splash-less, just regular old bleach. You can use chlorine, but don't buy it at Home Depot or Lowes. Around here, their chlorine all appears to be from about 350 years ago..

Once you receive your TF-100 and post your results back here, we can follow up with some instructions based upon your test data.

It helps us if you post the results in this order..

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

If you are like the rest of us, you new pool will soon be your "baby"..

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you are on the right path - a good test kit and some knowledge puts you miles ahead of where you would have been.

Definitely leave the pool service in place for now. Once you have a test kit - that will tell you how well they are handling the pool. Managing a pool is also a fair bit of work - best to keep some options open in the sort term.

Third Party "Pool School" - oof. If the goal is to make your wife feel better part of me thinks that is a bad idea. There is a huge disconnect in the "professional" pool industry about the affects of CYA on active chlorine levels. The typical mantra is "Chlorine is bad, never have it over 3ppm and CYA levels don't matter" This is complete and utter stupidity. Unfortunately it is also virtually ubiquitous (at least in my experience).

Definitely have someone come over - show you how the pumps and valves work, etc. A brief tutorial on chemistry is great - but I wouldn't get too specific. It's just asking for trouble.

If you and your wife would like to learn about chemistry from - well... chemists - you've come to the right place.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

Post some test results and we'll go from there.

More here on what to out in your sig and how to do it, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

There's good advice in the posts above. The "Pool School" you attend will most always be at odds with what we teach. I know it makes you wonder about us but just keep reading the thousands of voluntary testimonials on here.........you just can't make that up.

While you are waiting on your kit, please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It's the beginning of everything we teach.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool school will probably help you on how all the equipment/valves and programing will work. After that take on all the testing and chemistry using these methods.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like you and I are in the same neck of the woods. Thanks for all the info and the heads up about old products at Home Depot and Lowes. Test results will follow after I receive my Test Kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all who answered post. I appreciate the kind responses. Can't wait to get started. I should have expedited the Test Kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BBBwannabe View Post
    Looks like you and I are in the same neck of the woods. Thanks for all the info and the heads up about old products at Home Depot and Lowes. Test results will follow after I receive my Test Kit.
    Yes, in Bedford.. I'd estimate that I'm about $250K south of SouthLake...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Yes, in Bedford.. I'd estimate that I'm about $250K south of SouthLake...

Jim R.
    Southlake is overpriced! I'm sure I paid too much for this house, but backyard is beautiful. In your first response, you said add half jug of liquid chlorine each day? So add two quarts of Chlorine?

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Just so everyone is on the same page, I have a few questions.
    Who is currently maintaining the pool?
    You mention that it's is chlorine. Do you mean pucks, powder or liquid?
    What does the water look like?
    Can you post some pics?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by BBBwannabe View Post
    Southlake is overpriced! I'm sure I paid too much for this house, but backyard is beautiful. In your first response, you said add half jug of liquid chlorine each day? So add two quarts of Chlorine?
    BBB,

That was just a ballpark guess to keep some chlorine in your pool while you wait for your TF-100 to come in on the 24th. Worst case, if not needed, it will raise your FC a little above normal. The key is to not add something that is not needed and might cause some harm. We will be able to provide you with some specific instructions after your report back with your first test data.

Jim R.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    The pool school will probably help you on how all the equipment/valves and programing will work. After that take on all the testing and chemistry using these methods.
    It wouldn't hurt to snap pictures of how valves are positioned during certain functions. That way you know how to get them set back to normal operation.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Just so everyone is on the same page, I have a few questions.
    Who is currently maintaining the pool?
    You mention that it's is chlorine. Do you mean pucks, powder or liquid?
    What does the water look like?
    Can you post some pics?
    Not sure who has been maintaining pool. Water is clear. Looks well maintained. Also, not sure how the previous homeowner was chlorinating.

- - - Updated - - -

I will snap some photos of Pool and Equipment. Pool kit arrived early. Take possession of house and pool today. I will post results as soon as I conduct test. Thanks for a the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf_ox View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to snap pictures of how valves are positioned during certain functions. That way you know how to get them set back to normal operation.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

You are ahead of the game! Once you can get some test readings, post them here and we will have you on your way. No pool $tore potions or double talk. Just straight answers and knowledgeable people.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    This, 100%. The pool company will be able to tell you all about how your plumbing, filter, programming, lights, etc all work. When they talk about chemials, just smile nicely, nod a lot, and then don't buy anything from them (or let them add anthing to the pool).

As others have said, read the section here on water chemestry (paying close attention to the interaction between CYA and Free Cholrine). All you really need to maintain a pool, most of the time, is a souce of CYA free chlorine (bleach, liquid chlorine, gas if you are insane, etc) and a method of pH controll (muriatic acid, borax, or whatever else floats your boat - I use dry acide in the rare instances I need to lower pH, and Borax when I have to raise it - lately the rain must be more acidic, because I have to raise my pH after a good storm).

The main point to understand is to be a simple a possible. Need to add Cl? Then add Cl, and nothing else, by using bleach. When you start adding all these crazy chemicals that have other chemicals built into them, that is when you get into trouble.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

18. Back To Top    #18

In my opinion, do your pool school right here. Otherwise you're going to get confused and conflicting advice. I took possession of a home with my first pool ever little over six months ago, this site has been a lifesaver.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks for all the responses. Went to closing. Funds have not been released so, I don't have keys. I going to have to go to work, so test results and pictures will be posted tomorrow. Went to Kroger and bought two gallons of 8.25% regular bleach and Home Depot for a gallon of Muriatic Acid. Ill be all prepared tomorrow. Looking forward to comments based on test results and photos. I will also measure pool to get a more accurate water capacity. Not sure if its 8k or 10k gallons.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Remove the cap from one of those jugs and chuck it over the fence into the pool?
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast