Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover and reel question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover and reel question

Ok, now I've read some stuff about reels and covers. I have a 15x35 inground fiberglass and I want a cover to get the pool warm as its normally top 80's here, and I have solar on the roof. Now what cover ( flat.. bubble etc) and what reel and how to cover reel when not in use? Thank you Dave
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover and reel question

The general consensus here at TFP is that thinner covers are more cost effective and easier to handle. Thicker covers don't necessarily last any longer or preserve heat any better. The main purpose of a solar (bubble) cover is to not lose heat to evaporation and cooling at night. Clear or dark color covers likely add the most amount of heat from sunlight. However, the standard blue covers are a decent compromise and are cheaper than a clear or black cover.

Because I buy the cheapest solar cover I can (8 mil blue) I tend to ignore trying to protect it much from sunlight when it's off the pool... Not necessarily the best advice, but when my cover is rolled up, the reel goes next to the fence behind the diving board area. It's in full sun until about 5-6 pm, which is not great for the cover. If you can, put the reel in the shade when it's rolled up. Over the winter, it's best to wrap the cover (on the reel) in opaque plastic sheeting.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is the local favorite solar cover reel, DIY Solar Cover Roller

+1 to thin and cheap covers. I use 8 mil clear and it makes a big difference in temp loss over night. Covering the cover with a tarp or something when it is off the pool will help it last longer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you I will look for the cover and reel
    13000 gallon fiberglass, cartridge filters pentair Intelliflo Variable speed Programmable Pump separate booster pump solar panels on roof

5. Back To Top    #5

If you're going for a traditional reel, Rockys are the best but they are not cheap. Significant investment but the quality is there.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons