Pump is not priming properly

Pfisher

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2015
Germantown, TN
HELP Please....

I just back washed the pool. When I tried to restart the pump it initially primed, however within a few seconds the strainer basket seemed to empty and the pump was working continually to try to prime it. I thought that maybe the dial I used (can't remember what it is called - you turn it to put it in the backwash position, rice position, etc) was stuck at rince. I manually adjusted it again but that did not fix it. The filter was not receiving anything because the gauge did not register pressure. I replaced the dial last year so it seems weird that it would break?? Ideas? I turned off the pump and am awaiting your ideas.

Thank you for your help!

Can't get my iPad to copy and paste pic to this reply. Doesn't seem to work. I need to figure out how....

Working on it. Thx!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Hope this works...

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know why pic is upside down... Sorry

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Trying this again...

That big valve on the filter is a multiport valve. You always want to turn the pump off before rotating it and a good habit to get into is to always rotate it one direction only. Either always going clockwise or counter clockwise so as to not catch and tear the spider gasket it rotates on. I did see you said you tried to restart the pump so you are turning it off before rotating ;)

With the handles on those intake pipes 90 deg to the pipe they look like they are closed or would be in my setup.

Pfisher,

When you did the backwash did you also clean out the pump strainer basket? If so, the O-Ring could have come out or been damaged. You also might just check to see that the lid is on tightly enough.

If you backwashed for very long you could have lowered the water level in your pool below the skimmer mouth, so make sure that is not the case.

Your three input valves are all open. Edit.. I double checked and those look like Jandy style valves and they all look open to me.

Jim R.

That just seems a strange way to have the handles orientated. It makes sense though since you wouldn't be able to backflush with them closed. :hammer:

Thank you - MULTIPORT....!!

Thank you for mentioning the strainer basket and water level. Although the water level was adequate I just checked my pool strainer baskets - WOW. A tiny nerf football (that I didn't know that we had). I'm sorry for the fires drill!

PROBLEM FIXED!!! MANY THANKS FRIENDS!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.