Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump is not priming properly

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump is not priming properly

HELP Please....

I just back washed the pool. When I tried to restart the pump it initially primed, however within a few seconds the strainer basket seemed to empty and the pump was working continually to try to prime it. I thought that maybe the dial I used (can't remember what it is called - you turn it to put it in the backwash position, rice position, etc) was stuck at rince. I manually adjusted it again but that did not fix it. The filter was not receiving anything because the gauge did not register pressure. I replaced the dial last year so it seems weird that it would break?? Ideas? I turned off the pump and am awaiting your ideas.

Thank you for your help!
    Pfisher
    41K pebbletec
    Tritan 2 TR 60 Filter -Intelliflo VS
    Ozone/UV-Prozone / Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump is not priming properly

Pics of equipment showing piping and valving, please.
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't get my iPad to copy and paste pic to this reply. Doesn't seem to work. I need to figure out how....

Working on it. Thx!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Hope this works...

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know why pic is upside down... Sorry

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Trying this again...
    Pfisher
    41K pebbletec

4. Back To Top    #4

Are the three valves on your pump suction closed or open?
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That big valve on the filter is a multiport valve. You always want to turn the pump off before rotating it and a good habit to get into is to always rotate it one direction only. Either always going clockwise or counter clockwise so as to not catch and tear the spider gasket it rotates on. I did see you said you tried to restart the pump so you are turning it off before rotating

With the handles on those intake pipes 90 deg to the pipe they look like they are closed or would be in my setup.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pfisher,

When you did the backwash did you also clean out the pump strainer basket? If so, the O-Ring could have come out or been damaged. You also might just check to see that the lid is on tightly enough.

If you backwashed for very long you could have lowered the water level in your pool below the skimmer mouth, so make sure that is not the case.

Your three input valves are all open. Edit.. I double checked and those look like Jandy style valves and they all look open to me.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

That just seems a strange way to have the handles orientated. It makes sense though since you wouldn't be able to backflush with them closed.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

My pump worked perfectly before I back washed. I did not turn any valves on or off so I don't think that could be the issue. The only valve I touched was the dial to turn to backwash. Thank you
    Pfisher
    41K pebbletec

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you - MULTIPORT....!!

Thank you for mentioning the strainer basket and water level. Although the water level was adequate I just checked my pool strainer baskets - WOW. A tiny nerf football (that I didn't know that we had). I'm sorry for the fires drill!

PROBLEM FIXED!!! MANY THANKS FRIENDS!!
    Pfisher
    41K pebbletec

10. Back To Top    #10

Congrats