Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP Test kit confusion

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Test kit confusion

I was hoping for some guidance. I just bought the TFP test Kit after reading reviews about it. Previously, I always used the basic strips from commercial stores. My water has always been clear and I have few problems with water balancing (or so I thought). My results after using TFP’s kit are confusing to me and I wonder if I am doing something wrong: My results were:

FC: 9.5
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 80
    CH: 240
    CYA: 30

The Chlorine drop test took 19 drops to get it “totally” clear. TA test only turns pink, it never turned red- is this an issue? For CYA testing, is the black dot supposed to be completely hidden? CH turned pink, not red…is this considered red in the test? Calcium is present…is that bad?

To check my accuracy, I brought my water to a pool store. He did a thorough test. There results (the same day I tested my water myself with TFP) were:

FC: 5.5
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 90
    CH: 180
    CYA: 45

Any advice? Thanks!
    22,500 gal Lagoon shaped inground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP super pump, Aqua Heat Pump, Nexus Pure SWG, Aquabot, Hebron, CT

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: TFP Test kit confusion

Trust your own results with the TF100!

On all of the tests except FC and CH you are within the normal margin of error for the test compared to the pool store. FC tends to be lost on the way to the pool store, so the only one that actually disagrees is the CH test.

The CH test is sensitive to being done too quickly. Pool stores are especially likely to rush this one and get incorrect results. You should make sure to swirl the sample for 15 seconds or more after each drop of the titration. Do the test again, going slowly, and see if you get the same result you had last time. If you get the same number twice in a row then you are doing the test correctly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cupertino, CA

For TA and CH, you look for (1) the color to start changing, and then (2) the color to stop changing. For CYA, you want the black dot to completely disappear.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4
    South Carolina

Lots of us have had issues learning the CYA test. Here's a link to Taylor's visual of the CYA test, scroll to the bottom: ... ntentID=44

Hope this helps.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

All- Very helpful- Thank you.
    22,500 gal Lagoon shaped inground pool, vinyl liner, Hayward 4800 DE Filter, Hayward 1.5 HP super pump, Aqua Heat Pump, Nexus Pure SWG, Aquabot, Hebron, CT