Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: if algaecide consumes FC why add it at closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cincinnati, OH

if algaecide consumes FC why add it at closing?

From post 2 in this thread Low Chlorine after algaecide
    note suggests that algaecide consumes free chlorine. if so, adding it at winter closing seems counter productive.
    does anyone have any info on what kind(s) of algaecide consume FC? or dont?
    eg, polyquat 60; pool tech (Quaternary ammonium compounds, benzyl-C12-18-alkyldimethyl, chlorides )

Seems like i've read somewhere that ammonia will consume FC and wondering if the pool tech would.

30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, switching to TFP chlorine in 2016

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: if algaecide consumes FC why add it at closing?

It doesn't consume that much FC and FC consumption is very low when the water is below 50f anyway. It is really just used as some insurance. Most things added to water will consume some FC, especially organic things. Ammonia consumes very large amounts of chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: if algaecide consumes FC why add it at closing?

Not really that big a deal because your chlorine isn't going to last all winter anyway. I've never really seen the benefit of raising the chlorine level before closing for that very reason. My pool is clean and properly chlorinated so I add algaecide (if I have it) and close. Pool is generally cleaner in the spring with the polyquat.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat