Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool liner discoloration in deep end

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool liner discoloration in deep end

Hello! I recently purchased a home with a pool. After clearing from a DARK green, I'm seeing a discoloration in the pool liner, which exists only in the deep end. I've tried brushing and even swimming down and scrubbing, and it won't come off.

Is this something that can be fixed? Certain chemicals perhaps? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

20160814_180154.jpg
    40,000 gallon, IG vinyl liner pool
    DE filter, Hayward super pump
    Leslie's 6-point test strips (and visit store) to test chemicals
    Pool built in 1980s

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool liner discoloration in deep end

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your pool info to your signature and provide the requested info here so that we can better help you. Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Get a PVC coupling or some other kind of plastic ring and a plain old vitamin C tablet. Swim down and place the ring on the bottom and the tablet inside. You can do it without the ring, but it may go sailing away when you swim back to the top. Wait about 15 minutes and see if the liner lightens where the tablet was.

If it does, you may have metal issues. If it doesn't, it could either be organic staining or mold on the back side of the liner. Organic staining will lighten over time with maintained chlorine levels. Higher levels will lighten it faster. Mold on the outside is a tough issue, and that is what it looks like to me from the picture. I hope not.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Do you have any photos of how it looked before you cleaned it that you can post ??
    What type of material did you get off the bottom when cleaning, leaves, animals, ... ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's the pool when I first opened it. I don't think it was opened at all last summer, and it was dark green. It was covered by a Loop Loc, so not too much debris was in the pool - some leaves, a couple twigs, and that's about it.

IMG_20160630_150318.jpg
    40,000 gallon, IG vinyl liner pool
    DE filter, Hayward super pump
    Leslie's 6-point test strips (and visit store) to test chemicals
    Pool built in 1980s

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Did you try the vitamin C test yet?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Did you drain and refill or SLAM it into submission ??

If you drained and refilled I might try raising the FC to SLAM level for a day or two to see if it helps. But I'd try the vitamin C test first in case it's metal staining. Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!