Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Orange/Brown spots on plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Orange/Brown spots on plaster

I've attached some photos of spots that I'm getting in my pool. There was 1 set of these when I first bought the house a year ago. I do know the original owner had used a pool service and not chlorine pucks. After I moved in, not knowing anything I listened to my brother and just did the pucks and MA. I've since completely switched over to TFPC after a drain and re-fill a month ago, my pool looks and feels amazing, but now I've gotten more and more spots. I read somewhere in the forums recently about using vitamin c pills or pucks against the spots to properly identify, but I just wanted to be sure. I've attached pictures of my plaster below (yes the plaster is really old and I'll eventually get it re-done).

My current pool chemistry readings are:
    FC: 6.0ppm
    CC: 0
    TA: 110 (a tad high, but have lowered from 130)
    pH: 7.6ppm
    CYA: 30ppm

Picture 1 is of where the first set of spots were when I moved in, the others have shown within the last 2 months. The second photo is by the jet return where I usually poor the liquid chlorine or MA. I do brush after I pour in MA.

As always, thanks you for your time!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13,000 gallon kidney shaped plaster pool with spillover spa
    Taylor K-2006 test kit (switching to TF-100 after I use this up)
    Hayward Navigator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Orange/Brown spots on plaster

By any chance have you tested the CH lately? It would be good to know what that is as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

My CH is 200ppm at the moment. Thank you for the response btw.
    Hayward Navigator

4. Back To Top    #4

Would you say 200ppm is too low and is causing the orange/brown spotting?
    Hayward Navigator

5. Back To Top    #5

Just bumping this thread... Still trying to figure out what's causing the plasters spots. It's not algae as I've tried multiple OFCLT. Thanks for any tips!
    Hayward Navigator

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey there! Wow, I just saw your bump and it's been a while. So let's see ...... a CH of 200 is slightly low. According to our TFP Pool School - Recommended Levels page, 250 is the minimum for a non-SWG plaster pool. Could that cause the stains you are seeing? Hard to tell. I doubt it would have much effect on organic stains. Might depend on how long it was low or the unknown history of the previous owners. The small spots in pic 2 under the return jet remind me of something I personally experienced recently when I allowed some bugs (organic) to sit in the deep end too long before vacuuming. Those were resolved with some aggressive/daily brushing and an elevated FC level 60% - 100% of my SLAM level. The darker spots in pic one look different though, almost look like either something metal sat on the floor, or perhaps they are metal sources trying to show-through from the bottom.

Either way, I suspect the best thing to do right now is see if you can determine what type of stains they are. For that, I would review the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page. That should help. We'll try to keep this thread active for more review and ideas.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds good, thank you as always! Outside of those, the pool has been awesome and everyone comments on how different it's looked since I switched
    Hayward Navigator