Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will this lower my chlorine levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Galloway, NJ

Will this lower my chlorine levels?

The crappy pump went on our Summer Waves pool. Of course it was while we were away. Finally got a sand filter/pump set up the other day and had a green pool. Listened to a pool store guy's suggestion (I know, I know) of adding a certain amount of "shock." The green went away literally overnight.

But now I'm still way over-chlorinated. My TF100 should be here on Friday or Monday. I just got the water tested at my hardware store and here are my numbers.

FC: over 15.9 ppm
    TC: over 15.9 ppm
    Combined Chlorine: 0.0 ppm
    pH: 7.3
    Hardness: 15 ppm
    Alkalinity with stabilizer correction: 50 ppm
    CYA: 4ppm
    No copper or iron

The hardware store employee gave me 2 bags of what she said would lower the chlorine. I just got home and looked at the bags (had a 2 year old tugging on me in the store, so I just grabbed them and left). It says pH-Acid Powder. Safely and effectively lowers pH. Active ingredient: sodium bisulfate 100%.

Is this the right thing? I don't want to add it and screw up the pH that seems to be OK by these numbers. But my pool barely gets any sun because we live in the woods, so this heat hasn't been helping the chlorine drop very quickly. It's been 2 days of being non-green and over-chlorinated.
    18'X48" Summer Waves 7600 gallons
    1 HP Hayward sand filter/pump combo
    TF100 test kit
    Still have so much learning to do

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Greenville, SC

Re: Will this lower my chlorine levels?

That's dry acid and will lower your pH. Don't add anything right now, your chlorine will fall on it's own. Post your numbers when your test kit comes.
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

After you get your money back for the sodium bisulphate, run as fast as you can from that store.

Learn to manage your pool by yourself and your good test kit.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

More about pool chems here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach