Need New Pump or motor but don't know which one.

Aug 17, 2016
Arizona
Hello All,
I finally registered after viewing the forum for a while now and am in need of some help.

I have circa 2007 hayward pool equipment which includes a cartridge filter, swg, tristar 2hp (THP 2.7) pump, and goldine/hayward aqua logic automation control board and remote control.

My tristar pump motor died and I am in need of something new. My pool repair guy gave me a couple of options

1) Replace motor only and keep single speed ~$300

2) Replace motor only but change it to a US Motors/Emerson ecotech ez variable speed and adapter for the goldline automation system~$800 (this was the one the pool guy said to go with)

3) Replace it with a new pump, he said easiest would be the hayward ecostar but online that doesn't have great reviews :(. ~$1400

I want to keep my automation system fully functional but also want to have the best bang for my buck. I live in Phoenix and this pump is 10 years old so I am concerned with its general age.

What do you pool guru's suggest?

Welcome to TFP, you will love it here...

Personally, I'd select one of the two VS options. Unfortunately, I'm not up on your specific automation system.

What I'd want to know is how the "adapter" works, before making a decision. I know that the adapter for the Pentair Automation system, does allow you to use other vendor's pumps, but requires the use of relays and really only allows you to select one of four speeds. Ideally, you'd want your automation to be able to select whatever speed on the fly. This may not be the case with the Goldline..

If you went with the Ecostar, I'd want to know beforehand, if your Goldline system could control it based upon the age of your system.

Let's hope one of our Hayward Experts will respond with some better input.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Talking with Leslie's pool supply local store for more options they said the automation board should be able to control it, the software was updated not too long ago (within the last couple of years) to be able to control the new hayward t-15 salt cells. The main software version is 2.85 and display software is version 3.11. I called Hayward and they said anything above 2.66 runs all options of the ecostar.

Here is the adapter that would be used for the ecotech ez pump. http://www.usmotors.com/~/media/USMotors/Documents/TechDocs/Manuals/ECOTECH_EZ_Manual_Interface.ashx?la=en

I am not sure how it would work or if just replacing the motor is putting a bandaid on a 9 year old pump that is going to have more issues due to the age other than just the motor.

Talking with Leslie's pool supply local store for more options they said the automation board should be able to control it, the software was updated not too long ago (within the last couple of years) to be able to control the new hayward t-15 salt cells. The main software version is 2.85 and display software is version 3.11. I called Hayward and they said anything above 2.66 runs all options of the ecostar.

Here is the adapter that would be used for the ecotech ez pump. http://www.usmotors.com/~/media/USMotors/Documents/TechDocs/Manuals/ECOTECH_EZ_Manual_Interface.ashx?la=en

I am not sure how it would work or if just replacing the motor is putting a bandaid on a 9 year old pump that is going to have more issues due to the age other than just the motor.

As suspected, this adapter is similar to the one Pentair has. It basically makes your VS pump into a 4-speed pump. The ECoTech is controlled by inputs using a serial cable. The adapter lets you send 4 discrete codes down the cable which in turn tell the EcoTech to run at one of 4 preselected speeds. Four speeds may be enough for you, the problem is that you will need to have 4 unused relays in your automation system that the adapter will need to use. If you have the open relays then this would work for you.

I know it is a lot more money, but I would go with the option for a whole new vs pump.

Jim R.

I really only need two speeds, one speed for the in floor pop ups and one speed for just filtering and chlorinating. But I am leaning towards the new pump, my only real concern with the ecostar is the bad reviews about the motor drive locking up after a year or two. I know there is a 3 year warranty but I would rather not have to worry about it.

I really only need two speeds, one speed for the in floor pop ups and one speed for just filtering and chlorinating. But I am leaning towards the new pump, my only real concern with the ecostar is the bad reviews about the motor drive locking up after a year or two. I know there is a 3 year warranty but I would rather not have to worry about it.

Well, then another option would be a new two-speed motor. Run it on low 90% of the time for filtering and chlorinating, and high speed for cleaning. Suggest that you talk to your pool guy and see what he says.

Jim R.

I think after talking with my pool guy I am going to go with option 2 with the ecotech ez variable speed motor. I just don't like the reliability of the ecostars right now but have faith that hayward is going to come out with a better version in the next few years. This motor will hopefully last until that happens and then I can get full automation back. If it only lasts 2 years then I will have saved more on electricity than what I spent to have it installed. Hopefully it will last much longer though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.