help!! algae keeps coming back

Jul 14, 2016
Duson, La
I have been fighting mustand algae all summer. To the point that i even drained my pool and started over. I havent had the chance to get a GOOD test kit but ive been testing at the pool store (very close to home). We had a flood over the weekend and again i now have mustard algae. The pool store told me to put the cooper algaecide which i didnt. When i got home i double shocked. But im so tired of fighting the algae. Is there anything i can do to make it stop coming back.
And another thing.....the pool stores "ideal" numbers are different then the ones here and on the test strips i was using.

Current #s tested at Sabine Pools:
CYA: 30
FC: 4.4
pH: 7.5
TA: 80
TH: 53

Sabine recommended #s:
CYA: 30-200
FC: 1-3
pH: 7.4-7.6
They go by Adj. TA: 125-150
Tot Hardness: 175-225

I have been fighting mustand algae all summer. To the point that i even drained my pool and started over. I havent had the chance to get a GOOD test kit but ive been testing at the pool store (very close to home). We had a flood over the weekend and again i now have mustard algae. The pool store told me to put the cooper algaecide which i didnt. When i got home i double shocked. But im so tired of fighting the algae. Is there anything i can do to make it stop coming back.
And another thing.....the pool stores "ideal" numbers are different then the ones here and on the test strips i was using.

Current #s tested at Sabine Pools:
CYA: 30
FC: 4.4
pH: 7.5
TA: 80
TH: 53

Sabine recommended #s:
CYA: 30-200
FC: 1-3
pH: 7.4-7.6
They go by Adj. TA: 125-150
Tot Hardness: 175-225

Welcome!

Their 'recommended' numbers will let algae bloom in your pool for sure. Good thing you didn't put copper in there, it's hard to get rid of.
Anyway as you probably know this site promotes approach where you test your pool water yourself so please get K2006 or better yet TF100 kit ASAP. You can add 1/2 gal of 8.25% bleach now and keep adding 1/4 gal daily until kit arrives to keep your pool from turning into swamp. Makes subsequent cleaning easier.

Well that explains alot!!! Meaning y i keep getting algae. Errrr:mad:
I added a whole gallon of 8.25% around 3:30 this afternoon sincebi waant going to be home around sunet.
If i try adding borates would that help any?

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing....what EXACTLY should my reading be with an above ground vinyl?

The pool store is not your friend, they are in business to make money off of you, therefore they have no incentive to give you good advice, or care about the accuracy of their testing. The testing service is primarily a lure to get you in the door and a tool used to sell you chemicals. From a sales perspective it does not matter if the testing is accurate or not as long as it tells you to buy something.

Well that explains alot!!! Meaning y i keep getting algae. Errrr:mad:
I added a whole gallon of 8.25% around 3:30 this afternoon sincebi waant going to be home around sunet.
If i try adding borates would that help any?

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing....what EXACTLY should my reading be with an above ground vinyl?

Please stick to liquid chlorine for now and don't add anything to the water until you feel 100% sure why you are adding it and what result you are expecting.

- - - Updated - - -

...From a sales perspective it does not matter if the testing is accurate or not as long as it tells you to buy something.

well, that sums it up nicely :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.