Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: help!! algae keeps coming back

1. Back To Top    #1

help!! algae keeps coming back

I have been fighting mustand algae all summer. To the point that i even drained my pool and started over. I havent had the chance to get a GOOD test kit but ive been testing at the pool store (very close to home). We had a flood over the weekend and again i now have mustard algae. The pool store told me to put the cooper algaecide which i didnt. When i got home i double shocked. But im so tired of fighting the algae. Is there anything i can do to make it stop coming back.
    And another thing.....the pool stores "ideal" numbers are different then the ones here and on the test strips i was using.

Current #s tested at Sabine Pools:
    CYA: 30
    FC: 4.4
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 80
    TH: 53

Sabine recommended #s:
    CYA: 30-200
    FC: 1-3
    pH: 7.4-7.6
    They go by Adj. TA: 125-150
    Tot Hardness: 175-225
    18x48 coleman, 6423gals, AG vinyl, intex SWG & sand CS20110, built 4/16
    As of right now using hth 6-way test strips.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: help!! algae keeps coming back

Quote Originally Posted by HopeM31 View Post
    I have been fighting mustand algae all summer. To the point that i even drained my pool and started over. I havent had the chance to get a GOOD test kit but ive been testing at the pool store (very close to home). We had a flood over the weekend and again i now have mustard algae. The pool store told me to put the cooper algaecide which i didnt. When i got home i double shocked. But im so tired of fighting the algae. Is there anything i can do to make it stop coming back.
    And another thing.....the pool stores "ideal" numbers are different then the ones here and on the test strips i was using.

Current #s tested at Sabine Pools:
    CYA: 30
    FC: 4.4
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 80
    TH: 53

Sabine recommended #s:
    CYA: 30-200
    FC: 1-3
    pH: 7.4-7.6
    They go by Adj. TA: 125-150
    Tot Hardness: 175-225
    Welcome!

Their 'recommended' numbers will let algae bloom in your pool for sure. Good thing you didn't put copper in there, it's hard to get rid of.
    Anyway as you probably know this site promotes approach where you test your pool water yourself so please get K2006 or better yet TF100 kit ASAP. You can add 1/2 gal of 8.25% bleach now and keep adding 1/4 gal daily until kit arrives to keep your pool from turning into swamp. Makes subsequent cleaning easier.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Well that explains alot!!! Meaning y i keep getting algae. Errrr
    I added a whole gallon of 8.25% around 3:30 this afternoon sincebi waant going to be home around sunet.
    If i try adding borates would that help any?

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing....what EXACTLY should my reading be with an above ground vinyl?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pool Completed 8/2015 18'x36' Gemini shape 3.5' - 8', 19,200 gal IG vinyl, Hayward Max-Flo 1.5 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward Pro Series 300-lb sand filter, Hayward AquaPlus SWG, NO Autofill, Dolphin M400 robot, Taylor 2005 test kit, 434 gal Bullfrog A7L spa

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Knew i saw it but couldnt find it!

6. Back To Top    #6

The pool store is not your friend, they are in business to make money off of you, therefore they have no incentive to give you good advice, or care about the accuracy of their testing. The testing service is primarily a lure to get you in the door and a tool used to sell you chemicals. From a sales perspective it does not matter if the testing is accurate or not as long as it tells you to buy something.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by HopeM31 View Post
    Well that explains alot!!! Meaning y i keep getting algae. Errrr
    I added a whole gallon of 8.25% around 3:30 this afternoon sincebi waant going to be home around sunet.
    If i try adding borates would that help any?

- - - Updated - - -

And one more thing....what EXACTLY should my reading be with an above ground vinyl?
    Please stick to liquid chlorine for now and don't add anything to the water until you feel 100% sure why you are adding it and what result you are expecting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    ...From a sales perspective it does not matter if the testing is accurate or not as long as it tells you to buy something.
    well, that sums it up nicely
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit