Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brain Pick - Need some feedback on chlorine usage, CYA level and testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Brain Pick - Need some feedback on chlorine usage, CYA level and testing

FC target 6
    FC before daily chlorine addition 3
    CC 0-0.5
    PH 7.4
    TA 120
    CH 80
    Current CYA 30.
    New CYA target 40. Will be testing and adding CYA soon.

Last week, my FC was getting really low everyday (1-1.5) and I was using 25 -30 oz. per day. So I did a CYA test and of course it was under 30. (Hate that the K2006 CYA test doesn't go below 30. ) Didn't help that we were having high 90 deg days with periods of heavy rain. Needless to say I was burning through some chlorine and the walls and bottom kept getting a little slimey. I brushed. I SLAMMED. It's back to clear and trouble-free.

Currently using 16oz. of 12% daily. For a 5300 gallon pool in the middle of summer, is that normal?

Can heavy rain lower CYA by 10-15ppm?
    Is trying to maintain CYA of 30 realistic?
    Is there another good test option for CYA that doesn't require a lot of reagent?
    15' Above Ground, 4' water depth - approx. 5300 gallons.
    Hayward 1HP Pump-60gpm and 100# Sand Filter. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.
    Loving our little trouble-free pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brain Pick - Need some feedback on chlorine usage, CYA level and testing

8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Brain Pick - Need some feedback on chlorine usage, CYA level and testing

How many ppm of FC is that per day? 2-4ppm per day is normal.

You probably want your CYA at 40 to better protect FC from the sun.

CYA burns off at 2-3 per month on its own, up to 5 ppm in 90+ degree water. Bacteria can also consume cya when FC drops below low minimum for your CYA, FC/CYA Chart. Higher FC at SLAM level can also use up some add iona CYA. So, you've got quite a few things going on that can potentially consume a fair amount of CYA.

You can buy the cya tube from TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach