Brain Pick - Need some feedback on chlorine usage, CYA level and testing

FC target 6
FC before daily chlorine addition 3
CC 0-0.5
PH 7.4
TA 120
CH 80
Current CYA 30.
New CYA target 40. Will be testing and adding CYA soon.

Last week, my FC was getting really low everyday (1-1.5) and I was using 25 -30 oz. per day. So I did a CYA test and of course it was under 30. (Hate that the K2006 CYA test doesn't go below 30. ) Didn't help that we were having high 90 deg days with periods of heavy rain. Needless to say I was burning through some chlorine and the walls and bottom kept getting a little slimey. I brushed. I SLAMMED. It's back to clear and trouble-free.

Currently using 16oz. of 12% daily. For a 5300 gallon pool in the middle of summer, is that normal?

Can heavy rain lower CYA by 10-15ppm?
Is trying to maintain CYA of 30 realistic?
Is there another good test option for CYA that doesn't require a lot of reagent?

How many ppm of FC is that per day? 2-4ppm per day is normal.

You probably want your CYA at 40 to better protect FC from the sun.

CYA burns off at 2-3 per month on its own, up to 5 ppm in 90+ degree water. Bacteria can also consume cya when FC drops below low minimum for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Higher FC at SLAM level can also use up some add iona CYA. So, you've got quite a few things going on that can potentially consume a fair amount of CYA.

You can buy the cya tube from TFTestkits.net

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.