Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cloudy after 3 straight days of rain

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cloudy after 3 straight days of rain

Pool has turned murky after raining for 3 days straight. Tested FC/CC around noon today then the rest of the numbers a few hours later to make sure there wasn't something off:

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    CYA 30
    TA 110
    CH 300

With so much cloud cover and the lower temps FC hasn't seemed to drift lower very much so I don't think it's dipped low enough to let algae bloom, but maybe I'm incorrect. I took the off trippers off the pump timer to let it run 24/7 and I don't see any areas where there could be runoff into the pool for debris to make it cloudy. I took FC up to shock level just to be thorough, but curious if there is something else I should be thinking about other than just running the pump continuously until it clears up?
    40,000g IG fiberglass walls w/ painted concrete - Bleach Chlorination - Hayward Northstar 1.5 HP Pump - 500lbs Hayward S310T Sand Filter - TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cloudy after 3 straight days of rain

Raising FC to shock and extra filtering is the right idea. A brush wouldn't hurt either.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bytecowboy View Post
    Pool has turned murky after raining for 3 days straight. Tested FC/CC around noon today then the rest of the numbers a few hours later to make sure there wasn't something off:

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    CYA 30
    TA 110
    CH 300

With so much cloud cover and the lower temps FC hasn't seemed to drift lower very much so I don't think it's dipped low enough to let algae bloom, but maybe I'm incorrect. I took the off trippers off the pump timer to let it run 24/7 and I don't see any areas where there could be runoff into the pool for debris to make it cloudy. I took FC up to shock level just to be thorough, but curious if there is something else I should be thinking about other than just running the pump continuously until it clears up?
    you can check FC overnight loss to make sure the cloudiness is not organic in nature.
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is there rainwater draining into your pool?? Or did it just turn murky. Got a pic?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Passed an overnight test. FC down to 11 from 12 with a CC of 0.

There shouldn't be anything outside draining into the pool, it's surrounded by pavers and I don't see anything flowing down from the flowerbeds or yard. It just slowly got cloudy over the course of the 3 days of rain.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/1guqL
    40,000g IG fiberglass walls w/ painted concrete - Bleach Chlorination - Hayward Northstar 1.5 HP Pump - 500lbs Hayward S310T Sand Filter - TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Yeah, I don't think any run-off got in your pool......it's really not too bad.

If it was my pool, I would run the pump 24/7 and elevate your FC to twice normal and keep it there for a couple of days. Brush and vacuum and clean your filter if necessary......I think it will clear right up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School