Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner - Looking for Guidance

1. Back To Top    #1

Question New Pool Owner - Looking for Guidance

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this forum after doing some searches and I have been reading it to get some of the basics down. My older parents bought a new house in Arizona and it has a very small pool/spa or spool setup and I just came to visit and want to help them get kind of acquainted with it and teach that what I can find out to maintain it. I thought about paying someone to come out an give us a run down but if i can get all the information on this great forum that that would be even better.

It is a relatively small pool that has a propane heating system (not working at the moment and going to trouble shooting it based on a thread here) with a waterfall and jets you can turn off and on. So far my mom had bought some of these pool master test strips but I am seeing that it's a good idea to order her a TF-100 kit from everything I read. It looks like the pool has pop ups that push the water around into the cleaning system and drains and she uses a simple floating chlorine tablet system. It has a big tank that says cartridge filter system which I guess is part of the pumping system.

Today I checked the strip and it showed between 3-5 I would guess on the Free Chlorine, 80 Alkalinity, and 7.2 pH. So it seems that maybe it's a bit too much chlorine for this small pool.

I have attached pictures of the pump setup etc so maybe you guys can give me a run down of what a good routine would be to keep the pool clean, in terms of all the filter systems, pump etc. I have also taken pictures of the small holes that are setup around the pool. One of them looks to be the filter of the drain to pick up debris, the other two are different. One of them has what looks to be a water level thing like you would find in your toilet bowl to gauge how much water is in there and the other seems to have some dirty water in it.

By looking at the system. I have figured out that there one valve turns on the jets, the other turns on the waterfall, there is one housing that has a basket we can remove other debris in. The pump currently runs on a timer for about 2 hours a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am new to the pool world. I have read in different places you have to flush the system, etc etc.

Thanks to everyone in advance. Please ask any questions you need to get a better understanding and i will check it out and give pictures if needed.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner - Looking for Guidance

Are the folks willing to take on pool management on a daily basis? It's not hard, but requires a commitment.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Are the folks willing to take on pool management on a daily basis? It's not hard, but requires a commitment.
    That's what I am trying to assess. If it's fairly simple I think my mom could handle it if I showed them and went through it a few times while I'm here. She is pretty good about things once she learns it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Okay! Then get them the testkit!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Okay! Then get them the testkit!!!
    While I wait for that to come in could you help me in terms of identification of the other things that are part of it. Like what those other holes on the side of the pool are and other cleaning, pump maintenance, etc?

Other than the chemistry basically.

Thank you