Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Vacation question

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Vacation question

I know its been posted many times about vacation maintenance of pools......but I thought I would get peoples thoughts on my plan for re-assurance......I Keep the FC at 6.5 with CYA at 40......PH is always 7.4 to 7.8 sometimes hits 8........ALK is 80 CH is 300.....going to be gone 5 days and the plan is to bring FC up to 10 or 12 and then put 3 - 8oz pucks in a floater (I dread the thought of pucks).....since the CYA is 40 I think I should be ok with only 3 pucks according to the pool math calculater....while keeping the chlorine level up......usually I have someone to put liquid chlorine in but everyone is out of town........thoughts?.....oh and as the signature says we are in Phoenix and the pool is crystal clear.......Thanks in advance
    Phoenix, AZ USA 12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair TR-100 sand filter, Jandy/Zodiac ePump series-variable speed, builit 1991 (re-plastered with pebble 2013-new pump 2011), Taylor 2006 test kit with (FAS-DPD) chlorine test w/speedstir, Spa attached

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another Vacation question

Sounds like a great plan. 3 pucks will not fully dissolve in 5 days. You will barely raise your CYA, and I would bet you will come back to a nice normal pool. Just check the chlorine level when you get home, it might still be high.
    10,000 gallon in ground diamond brite, Circupool si30+, Hayward C900 cartridge, 1.5hp Flotec single speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Buzz......felt pretty confident but like I stated above just wanted confirmation......
    Phoenix, AZ USA 12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair TR-100 sand filter, Jandy/Zodiac ePump series-variable speed, builit 1991 (re-plastered with pebble 2013-new pump 2011), Taylor 2006 test kit with (FAS-DPD) chlorine test w/speedstir, Spa attached

4. Back To Top    #4

I just got back from about six and a half days away. Dropped the pH to 7 the day we left, put in three pucks to control the pH rise (I have an SWG for the chlorine). Returned to a crystal clear pool and pH at about 7.3 or 7.4.

Your method is sound. Now go enjoy your vacation!

----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink