One month in -- Couple of questions

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
I've been following the teachings on this site for about a month at this point and I've been really pleased. I've been telling other pool owners about it. I have a pretty good handle on it I think, but still have a few questions and observations...

1) both my wife and I have gotten red bumps that almost look like bug bites, but get redder for a few days before fading away, on our legs over the past few weeks....she never handles the chlorinating liquid or adds it...that's just me....but we both swim. The only change to our life over the past month has been going to bleach instead of granular, so I'm worried that it could be the cause. Thoughts? Experiences?

2) At first, after I SLAM'd the pool, my CC level was zero. I've been keeping my level at or very near the target consistently, and have added chlorine basically every day over the past month. Now my CC level is at .5. Should I care? Will it go back to zero without reaching SLAM levels?

3) My CYA was around 30 at first. I used a few pucks that I had left over from before I "saw the light" so I used them in the chlorinator to help keep chlorine levels up and push the CYA up. It got to 50, and I stopped using the pucks and went straight to liquid for chlorine levels. It's now back to between 30 and 40 on the test (should I assume it's 35, or should you always round up or down?). I'm assuming this drop is due to my adding water because it's been 100 degrees here and we get evaporation. No rain to speak of. Fair assumption? To get back to 50, should I use a few pucks since I have them, or do I need to go buy conditioner? Any harm in using the pucks just until I get CYA to 50?

4) Is there a better test for CYA than the test tube held at waist level? Man, it just seems so subjective!!

5) When I bought the test kit, it says to test everything once a week, and to check that you have chlorine with the "simple tester" daily. The problem I have here is that on the "simple test" it's pretty much bright yellow for everything over 3ppm and I feel like I need better data than that. So I've been testing with the powder, the auto-stir thing, etc so I can get a better reading. Been testing CYA a lot too because it's so subjective. Now I'm running out of those parts of the test kit. Anyone else do this, or do you just look for bright yellow and add the amount that is "normal" per day? (for me, right now, it's about 60 ounces a day)

That's enough for now....I guess that was more than a "couple of questions", but hopefully it's helpful for other people that are in my position -- sold on the system, but still slightly unsure of a few things.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

1. Whatever it is, it's not bleach.

2. In this instance we treat 0 and .5 ppm as the same thing. so your CC's are zero.

3, If you use the pucks now, you may have to buy some more when you go on vacation. Other than that, it's fine.

4. Nothing better.

5. That OTO test (yellow) checks for the presence of chlorine (Very dependable) but not exactly how much. Use the powder test (FAS/DPD) for now, You will soon get more comfortable and go back to the OTO test. Some like to see the accuracy all the time so they ONLY use the FAS/DPD. It's your call.

I've been following the teachings on this site for about a month at this point and I've been really pleased. I've been telling other pool owners about it. I have a pretty good handle on it I think, but still have a few questions and observations...

1) both my wife and I have gotten red bumps that almost look like bug bites, but get redder for a few days before fading away, on our legs over the past few weeks....she never handles the chlorinating liquid or adds it...that's just me....but we both swim. The only change to our life over the past month has been going to bleach instead of granular, so I'm worried that it could be the cause. Thoughts? Experiences?

2) At first, after I SLAM'd the pool, my CC level was zero. I've been keeping my level at or very near the target consistently, and have added chlorine basically every day over the past month. Now my CC level is at .5. Should I care? Will it go back to zero without reaching SLAM levels?

3) My CYA was around 30 at first. I used a few pucks that I had left over from before I "saw the light" so I used them in the chlorinator to help keep chlorine levels up and push the CYA up. It got to 50, and I stopped using the pucks and went straight to liquid for chlorine levels. It's now back to between 30 and 40 on the test (should I assume it's 35, or should you always round up or down?). I'm assuming this drop is due to my adding water because it's been 100 degrees here and we get evaporation. No rain to speak of. Fair assumption? To get back to 50, should I use a few pucks since I have them, or do I need to go buy conditioner? Any harm in using the pucks just until I get CYA to 50?

4) Is there a better test for CYA than the test tube held at waist level? Man, it just seems so subjective!!

5) When I bought the test kit, it says to test everything once a week, and to check that you have chlorine with the "simple tester" daily. The problem I have here is that on the "simple test" it's pretty much bright yellow for everything over 3ppm and I feel like I need better data than that. So I've been testing with the powder, the auto-stir thing, etc so I can get a better reading. Been testing CYA a lot too because it's so subjective. Now I'm running out of those parts of the test kit. Anyone else do this, or do you just look for bright yellow and add the amount that is "normal" per day? (for me, right now, it's about 60 ounces a day)

That's enough for now....I guess that was more than a "couple of questions", but hopefully it's helpful for other people that are in my position -- sold on the system, but still slightly unsure of a few things.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
I have been dealing with high CYA and have purchased the reagent in bulk...16 oz. Best deal if you test regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.