Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP..How bad is this. Is this a priority or can I wait a few months until it's coole

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP..How bad is this. Is this a priority or can I wait a few months until it's coole

My tiles are separated, just like 11 of them the ones facing full sun light all day. 14 year old pool. Can it wait until cooler weather

I'll enclose pics

I'm a little nervous about more possible damage behind if I don't repair right away

Thanks for your insight

sentado na praia com meu iphone 6 via tapatalk
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP..How bad is this. Is this a priority or can I wait a few months until it's c

You can wait a month or two.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: HELP..How bad is this. Is this a priority or can I wait a few months until it's c

Thanks !

Meanwhile I'll try to keep the water level lower then where the tiles popped. This to me is strange, almost like there was movement behind the cement to crack these tiles. I guess that's possible. Hard to believe that it was from the sun and heat, maybe that's possible too
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Thanks !

Meanwhile I'll try to keep the water level lower then where the tiles popped. This to me is strange, almost like there was movement behind the cement to crack these tiles. I guess that's possible. Hard to believe that it was from the sun and heat, maybe that's possible too
    It's hard to see on the pictures but can you check if you have expansion joint and if the whole design looks like this: Coping.gif

The idea is that coping is bound to the top of the pool wall but the surrounding deck is not and separated from coping/wall with expansion joint so 2 parts could move relatively to each other. It looks from the first picture that the deck might be pushing on the coping and that would explain why it moved and took the top row of tiles with it.

I had similar problem except at bigger scale- my cantilevered deck (no coping, the deck hangs over the water by 2") was bound to the wall and took about 40' of tiles with it. I consider myself lucky as it didn't put big crack in the pool wall along with them. The crack was big actually but it was mostly horizontal separating top 1" of the wall from the rest of the pool so pool Gods were kind of nice at the end .
    44k plaster pool, Pentair 011018 pump, DE6020 filter, LED lights, K2006 test kit