Dec 13, 2007
My water is sparkling clear but I'm trying my best to balance it to perfection!! here are my new test numbers and how do I approach my low TA

FC : 5ppm
CC : 0ppm
TC : 5ppm
pH : 7.6ppm
TA : 30ppm
CYA: 40ppm

my pool is 30,000 gallon IG, I know i need to add Baking Soda and by the calculator it says 22lbs of it, my question is if I add so much baking soda (22lbs) will it get my pH out of wack??? how will the pH come down then do I need to add Muriatic after my TA is perfect?

forgot to add, I use calcium hypochlorite @ 65% strength for my pool, live in the caribbean Puerto Rico with high temps.
thanks

Baking Soda will raise TA and not have much affect on pH. It is the right way to raise TA. I would start with around 10-15 lbs and check your results. Then add more if needed.

Even if your pH goes up a little, muriatic will bring it back in line.

As an aside, If you are experienceing no water issues, I would consider leaving TA alone.

Another aside, you don't post tests for CH.....are you less than 400?

There's been a discussion here on the boards lately about the need to raise or lower TA just to meet a suggested number. Try leaving your TA where it is and see if your pH starts dropping to where you're adding borax regularly to bring it up. If it doesn't drop, then leave your TA where it is, no need to adjust it. If it does keep dropping, then adjust your TA upward until you don't have to adjust the pH on a regular basis.

My calcium hardness showed 400 right on the dot,
I would stop using Cal Hypo. Your CH is already a little bit too high and the Cal Hypo will only continue to increase it.

If your refill water is low in CH, you can drain off some (say 25%) or your pool and reduce CH that way but Cal Hypo will continue to bring it right back up.

Indeed i'll keep an eye on it and thanks for the TA reply, I will leave it alone for now and see if the pH holds and dont bounce to either side.

the only reason im using cal-hypo is because I found a nice deal ( 100lbs of cal hypo for $100 ) and right now bleach is at 1.50 per gallon here in Puerto Rico.

JasonLion said:
I would raise your TA to around 70. Very low TA usually allows the PH to swing around way too much.

So for 30,000 gallons, add 13lbs of Baking Soda in the deep end of the pool and circulate for 24 hours then I check pH and adjust with muriatic acid till I reach recommended levels?

thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.