New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I need

crashxx

Gold Supporter
Jan 11, 2016
Oklahoma
New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I need

We finally got our pool finished. I am blessed to have the best neighbors in the world who made our DIY pool possible. This is the first pool any of us have put in. I am familiar with pools and have helped take care of my parents pool since I was a kid. We always just kept a 3" tab in each skimmer all the time. It was always very obvious it was a chlorine pool. As I read this forum, I can't help but think we have been doing it wrong all this time. Can someone tell me (or direct me to a thread) the proper way to use the test kit and how often to do what? Also, I'm thinking of trying the liquid chlorine method instead of the tabs. All my manuals for my equipment say do not put the tabs in the skimmers. What products from my local grocery/hardware store will I need to keep my water perfect? We are on a water well which is what I used to fill the pool. We are in an area with hard water. Will borates help with that? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Re: New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I

Crash,

Since you already have the TF100, just follow the instructions inside. Send us the result of your test as follows..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

It is very important that we have all of the above results because they are somewhat interrelated.

At this time I suggest you only buy some plain bleach (Not scented, or splashless), and Muriatic Acid, both of which you can get at a Big Box Store like Lowes or Home Depot.

The sooner you provide the test data, the sooner we can get you moving in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Re: New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I

Add Bleach, Borax and baking soda as well as stabilizer (sometimes referred to as conditioner) to the above list. And if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask. We are here for you :lovetfp:

Add Bleach, Borax and baking soda as well as stabilizer (sometimes referred to as conditioner) to the above list. And if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask. We are here for you :lovetfp:
Please do not buy ANYTHING but Bleach.....about 4 jugs or so.

After you post test results, we can see if you need anything additional or not.

FC = 2
CC = 1
TC = 3
CH = 325
TA = 130
PH = 8.2 (see pic)
CYA = I could see the black dot with the entire cylinder full

Please advise...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have one gallon of bleach and 4 gallons of 10% pool chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing, I used a pool volume calculator and it figured my pool at about 38,200 gal. It is 20 X 44 3' at the shallow and 8.6 at the deep. Does that sound right?

Attachments

• IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 135

I also get 40K gallons.

To get your FC up to 6 or 7 you will need to add 2 jugs of bleach. Tonight, if possible and retest first thing tomorrow morning. Before the sun comes up if possible. This will give us a starting point.

This FC will burn off pretty quickly because your CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) is zero. You will need to add a "ton" and CYA.. Ok maybe not a ton, but about 14 lbs. DO NOT add all at once, add about 5 or 6 lbs and retest to see where you are and then add a little at a time until you get to 40. To add DRY CYA, put it in old gym sock (A clean one is best :p) Hang the sock with a string, so that it hangs in front of a return. Squeeze the sock from time to time until it is empty. It will take a day or so.

You need to bring your pH down from 8.2 to around 7.5 or so. This will require you to add 70 oz of Muriatic Acid (MA). Just pour very slowly (Think pencil size stream) in front of a pool return.

I see your CC reading is 1. I suspect this is a testing error as, if I understand correctly, this is the first time you have run these tests. I suggest we hold off a day or two before getting to excited about you CC level.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Here is what i tested this morning.
FC = 4.5
CC = .5
TC = 5
CH = 325
TA = 130
CYA = did not test
CL (K-1000 test kit) = 5+
Ph (K-1000 test kit) = 8.2+

Is CYA available in dry & liquid? If so, which one is preferred?

1. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

2. Get your pH down to about 7.5. Use muriatic acid...it's the best and cheapest.

3. Get that CYA that jimrahbe has calculated for you in the pool.....12 lbs to start. Dry is half the cost and will take about 24-48 hours to show up on the test

4. Report your test results after you give the CYA time to dissolve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just keep adding bleach to keep your FC above 3 at all times. It'll burn off pretty quickly without any CYA in there to protect it. Check it as often as you can throughout the day, especially if it's hot and sunny.

I couldnt get the sock with the cya to hang in front of a return as suggested. Would there be anything wrong with putting them in the skimmers and setting the valve to recirc?

Crash,

The skimmer is where a lot of people put them.. I find putting them in front of the return just works better for me. Just make sure that you don't fill up the entire skimmer basket and that there is plenty of area for the water to get back to the pump.

Jim R.

^if you're in a hurry, I just added 14 lbs of cya to fresh fill due to a liner change by having three people massage athletic socks in front of returns with the pool heater cranked up to produce a stream of warm water. We were done in about 40 minutes while the sock In the filter basket was still darn near full ;)

(We were anxious to get the swg up n running.)

So if you want to dissolve it fast, get would-be swimmers to massage those socks ;) They're usually motivated ;)

Nope, I often swim around with the sock to dissolve it quickly. It is a very mild acid.

Here is a set of links I set up for new to TFP people. It is a lot of info but will all make sense as you use it:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:kim:

I have an automatic cover and plan on keeping it closed unless we are using it to save on cleaning, keep heat, and reduce chemical usage. Would I still follow the recommended chemical levels for outdoor pools? I see indoor pools have some different values and didn't know if I should adjust since it will be covered with a solid cover most of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.