Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I need

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I need

We finally got our pool finished. I am blessed to have the best neighbors in the world who made our DIY pool possible. This is the first pool any of us have put in. I am familiar with pools and have helped take care of my parents pool since I was a kid. We always just kept a 3" tab in each skimmer all the time. It was always very obvious it was a chlorine pool. As I read this forum, I can't help but think we have been doing it wrong all this time. Can someone tell me (or direct me to a thread) the proper way to use the test kit and how often to do what? Also, I'm thinking of trying the liquid chlorine method instead of the tabs. All my manuals for my equipment say do not put the tabs in the skimmers. What products from my local grocery/hardware store will I need to keep my water perfect? We are on a water well which is what I used to fill the pool. We are in an area with hard water. Will borates help with that? Thanks in advance for all the help!
    Vinyl, 20' X 44' in-ground, 35,000 gallons, Inteliflo VS 3HP, Triton TR-100 w/ activate, MasterTemp 400,000K LP, Dolphin Supreme M500, Hydramatic Hydraulic Auto Cover, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I

Crash,

Since you already have the TF100, just follow the instructions inside. Send us the result of your test as follows..

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

It is very important that we have all of the above results because they are somewhat interrelated.

At this time I suggest you only buy some plain bleach (Not scented, or splashless), and Muriatic Acid, both of which you can get at a Big Box Store like Lowes or Home Depot.

The sooner you provide the test data, the sooner we can get you moving in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New pool build. Questions about proper testing with the TF-100 & what products I

Add Bleach, Borax and baking soda as well as stabilizer (sometimes referred to as conditioner) to the above list. And if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask. We are here for you
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Great! Thank you. I'll have some numbers in the morning.
    Vinyl, 20' X 44' in-ground, 35,000 gallons, Inteliflo VS 3HP, Triton TR-100 w/ activate, MasterTemp 400,000K LP, Dolphin Supreme M500, Hydramatic Hydraulic Auto Cover, TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt1 View Post
    Add Bleach, Borax and baking soda as well as stabilizer (sometimes referred to as conditioner) to the above list. And if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask. We are here for you
    Please do not buy ANYTHING but Bleach.....about 4 jugs or so.

After you post test results, we can see if you need anything additional or not.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

FC = 2
    CC = 1
    TC = 3
    CH = 325
    TA = 130
    PH = 8.2 (see pic)
    CYA = I could see the black dot with the entire cylinder full

Please advise...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have one gallon of bleach and 4 gallons of 10% pool chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing, I used a pool volume calculator and it figured my pool at about 38,200 gal. It is 20 X 44 3' at the shallow and 8.6 at the deep. Does that sound right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

I also get 40K gallons.

To get your FC up to 6 or 7 you will need to add 2 jugs of bleach. Tonight, if possible and retest first thing tomorrow morning. Before the sun comes up if possible. This will give us a starting point.

This FC will burn off pretty quickly because your CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) is zero. You will need to add a "ton" and CYA.. Ok maybe not a ton, but about 14 lbs. DO NOT add all at once, add about 5 or 6 lbs and retest to see where you are and then add a little at a time until you get to 40. To add DRY CYA, put it in old gym sock (A clean one is best ) Hang the sock with a string, so that it hangs in front of a return. Squeeze the sock from time to time until it is empty. It will take a day or so.

You need to bring your pH down from 8.2 to around 7.5 or so. This will require you to add 70 oz of Muriatic Acid (MA). Just pour very slowly (Think pencil size stream) in front of a pool return.

I see your CC reading is 1. I suspect this is a testing error as, if I understand correctly, this is the first time you have run these tests. I suggest we hold off a day or two before getting to excited about you CC level.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is what i tested this morning.
    FC = 4.5
    CC = .5
    TC = 5
    CH = 325
    TA = 130
    CYA = did not test
    CL (K-1000 test kit) = 5+
    Ph (K-1000 test kit) = 8.2+

Is CYA available in dry & liquid? If so, which one is preferred?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

1. Welcome to the forum.

2. Get your pH down to about 7.5. Use muriatic acid...it's the best and cheapest.

3. Get that CYA that jimrahbe has calculated for you in the pool.....12 lbs to start. Dry is half the cost and will take about 24-48 hours to show up on the test

4. Report your test results after you give the CYA time to dissolve
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Will do, thanks for the help!

11. Back To Top    #11

I won't be able to get my CYA until tomorrow night. Is there anything I should do in the mean time?

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Just keep adding bleach to keep your FC above 3 at all times. It'll burn off pretty quickly without any CYA in there to protect it. Check it as often as you can throughout the day, especially if it's hot and sunny.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

13. Back To Top    #13

I couldnt get the sock with the cya to hang in front of a return as suggested. Would there be anything wrong with putting them in the skimmers and setting the valve to recirc?

14. Back To Top    #14

Crash,

The skimmer is where a lot of people put them.. I find putting them in front of the return just works better for me. Just make sure that you don't fill up the entire skimmer basket and that there is plenty of area for the water to get back to the pump.

Jim R.

15. Back To Top    #15

^if you're in a hurry, I just added 14 lbs of cya to fresh fill due to a liner change by having three people massage athletic socks in front of returns with the pool heater cranked up to produce a stream of warm water. We were done in about 40 minutes while the sock In the filter basket was still darn near full

(We were anxious to get the swg up n running.)

So if you want to dissolve it fast, get would-be swimmers to massage those socks They're usually motivated
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

16. Back To Top    #16

So I guess there is no harm in being in a cloud of cya while massaging it out of the sock?

17. Back To Top    #17

Nope, I often swim around with the sock to dissolve it quickly. It is a very mild acid.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Here is a set of links I set up for new to TFP people. It is a lot of info but will all make sense as you use it:

Print these out:
    Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
    Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Note that some brands of granular CYA seem to dissolve much quicker than others.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

20. Back To Top    #20

I have an automatic cover and plan on keeping it closed unless we are using it to save on cleaning, keep heat, and reduce chemical usage. Would I still follow the recommended chemical levels for outdoor pools? I see indoor pools have some different values and didn't know if I should adjust since it will be covered with a solid cover most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast