I have been struggling to keep my FAC level in range. As you can see in signature, we have a SWG pool with a cover and live in GA.
First, my readings:
TA 120 (recently reduced from 160 to 125 to 120)
pH: 7.2 (down from 7.6 as I just added acid to reduce TA...)
Water Quality - Clear
using a TF100 kit
A few issues:
- I am really struggling to get my TA lower than 120. It has been as high as 160 but usually around 120. Keep on adding muriatic acid (once pH is back up and 45oz max at a time) but not much success. Will continue doing so.
- I have had to supplement my SWG with some chlorine powder the past few weeks as my chlorine is "crashing". I have run various options on my pump and SWG but nothing conclusive so far. Ditto on SWG %, from 20% to 60%
- My pool guy has suggested 20 hours at 1000rpm and 4 hours at 2800rpm (high speed). At 1000rpm, SWG is turned off.
I have also tried 1750rpm for 24 hours. Based on some estimates, GPM equivalent are around 25GPM for 1000rpm, 43GPM for 1750rpm and 70GPM for 2800rpm.
I am really trying to find the optimal schedule to maintain roughly 1ppm of FAC, keeping the water clear (sometimes gets a little cloudy and "greasy" at the surface) while minimizing pump running time. Pool is covered most of the time except for swimming... obviously
Any suggestion to reduce my TA level closer to a 70-80 target? I will continue to pour 45oz of muriatic acid at the time after aerating pool to get pH back to proper range. Other suggestions to help welcome.
More importantly, any suggestion on pump schedule. How much time should I "run" the SWG and at what %. At 1000rpm, it runs through filter but no salt generated.
- shall I increase to 1200rpm (or some other number to just start SWG) and run for 20 hours then 4 hours at higher speed?
- shall I leave to 1000rpm but less time and more time at higher speed and maybe higher %
- other method?
I have been scratching my head to find a solution to maintain my FAC at a proper level without adding powder chlorine.
My filter was cleaned recently and SWG inspected. nothing to report...
Thanks a lot in advance.