Pool cover suggestions?

May 23, 2016
South Windsor, ct
I live in CT and need suggestion for good company to order winter pool cover from. I have a 27 ft round above ground. We can get a lot of falling leaves in autumn and a lot of snow in winter. It seems like I have to get a new one every year or two....they just do not hold up and rip or tear. Any advice is appreciated!

I am in the same boat as you, heyjudect. My winter pool cover last year got trashed from the hickory nuts and leaves. The closest tree is coming down on Monday (over 50' tall) but I still need to buy a winter cover that will last. Also, wondering if the leaf net covers work? I was reading that these covers can be installed over the winter covers and make leaf removal easier.

I have a solid cover with a mesh strip down the middle. I've been very pleased with it. Google Ultimate winter pool cover.
medium.jpg

I have decided to go with the cheapest cover I can find. After buying teh "super tough mega expensive" covers and watching them fail in 2 seasons, I am going to go with the cheapest and get the same life out of it. I am in the North East as well and I get a lot of leaves, snow, and ice. Nothing seems to hold up

I would go cheap, just a standard winter cover. My experience is 2-3 seasons is what you will get, the ones I buy are really just typical tarp material. A neighbor gave me a leaf net last year so the first time I used it and it worked well. I did not leave it on all winter, just from closing until late fall, on top of the winter cover, and then removed it and the leaves came right with it.

In 4 pool openings I have always opened to clear water that still had some chlorine left from the close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So those micro-mesh covers that are taut over the pool (27' AGP) don't make sense for southern NH snow loads? After reading this I am thinking of doing what Pauls said. I might dump whats in there late fall then put back on, those oak leaves are very stubborn.

Also, re pillows/balloons, lots of them, but big? Small?

So those micro-mesh covers that are taut over the pool (27' AGP) don't make sense for southern NH snow loads? After reading this I am thinking of doing what Pauls said. I might dump whats in there late fall then put back on, those oak leaves are very stubborn.

Also, re pillows/balloons, lots of them, but big? Small?

I have found that if you keep the cover dry (which is impossible if you have a leaky old cover) then leaves are easy to take care of with a leaf blower. When it rains, I make it a point to get the water off the cover ASAP. That wa the leave don't stick, and they can just be blown off. Of course, if you cover is old and the pool water seeps up through the weave, then there is not much you can do.

-dave

I haven't tried it yet since this is only my 3rd year... But my father in law uses 2 covers.. When he buys a new one... He puts the old one on top... Says it makes the new one last longer... Used to get 2 years out of his cover... Now he says he can get 4-5 years... And he just buys regular cheap covers... Figure it's worth a shot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zedhead
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.