Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cover suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cover suggestions?

I live in CT and need suggestion for good company to order winter pool cover from. I have a 27 ft round above ground. We can get a lot of falling leaves in autumn and a lot of snow in winter. It seems like I have to get a new one every year or two....they just do not hold up and rip or tear. Any advice is appreciated!
    ABOVE GROUND, 27 ft round , 54 inch deep, 19,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter. Pool is 15 years old. I will use TF-100 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cover suggestions?

I am in the same boat as you, heyjudect. My winter pool cover last year got trashed from the hickory nuts and leaves. The closest tree is coming down on Monday (over 50' tall) but I still need to buy a winter cover that will last. Also, wondering if the leaf net covers work? I was reading that these covers can be installed over the winter covers and make leaf removal easier.
    Brian W. - Portland, CT
    27' Round AGP, approx. 17,000 gallons, Pentair Clean & Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir.
    Installed by Rizzo Pools - Newington, CT in April 2015

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in need of one as well. I'm looking for one of the solid safety covers with the mesh strip down the middle.
    Vinyl, 20' X 44' in-ground, 35,000 gallons, Inteliflo VS 3HP, Triton TR-100 w/ activate, MasterTemp 400,000K LP, Dolphin Supreme M500, Hydramatic Hydraulic Auto Cover, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hopefully someone on this forum can make a suggestion for us all!!!!
    ABOVE GROUND, 27 ft round , 54 inch deep, 19,000 gallons, vinyl liner, sand filter. Pool is 15 years old. I will use TF-100 kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a solid cover with a mesh strip down the middle. I've been very pleased with it. Google Ultimate winter pool cover.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Or if you're lazy hit - - > Google
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Linda1!!!!!!!!!! I will def check it out!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have decided to go with the cheapest cover I can find. After buying teh "super tough mega expensive" covers and watching them fail in 2 seasons, I am going to go with the cheapest and get the same life out of it. I am in the North East as well and I get a lot of leaves, snow, and ice. Nothing seems to hold up
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

9. Back To Top    #9

the mesh ones are pricey and I worry about stuff filtering thru and making my water murky. I may do as phonedave is and get cheapo cover. If it only lasts one season, so be it, at least I wont be out a lot of cash.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would go cheap, just a standard winter cover. My experience is 2-3 seasons is what you will get, the ones I buy are really just typical tarp material. A neighbor gave me a leaf net last year so the first time I used it and it worked well. I did not leave it on all winter, just from closing until late fall, on top of the winter cover, and then removed it and the leaves came right with it.

In 4 pool openings I have always opened to clear water that still had some chlorine left from the close.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

11. Back To Top    #11

agree!!

12. Back To Top    #12

I buy a new one every year. For less than $50 it's not worth cleaning, drying, and storing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swimline-28-...AAAOSwdzVXt0gg
    28' X 52" Sharkline Escalade
    Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5hp
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm with Walt on this. I can't get on to last more than one winter. I get the next size up cover since i'm oval, makes it much easier. No more yelling :>)
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

14. Back To Top    #14

So those micro-mesh covers that are taut over the pool (27' AGP) don't make sense for southern NH snow loads? After reading this I am thinking of doing what Pauls said. I might dump whats in there late fall then put back on, those oak leaves are very stubborn.

Also, re pillows/balloons, lots of them, but big? Small?

15. Back To Top    #15

I use to round floats. (1) 48" dia and the other is 36" dai. tied together in the center with ropes out to the long sides to pull cover out and then to pull cover off. It easy to center with the two ropes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Rec...-Tube/20703058 like this one

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Rec...-Tube/20703058 this one
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
    So those micro-mesh covers that are taut over the pool (27' AGP) don't make sense for southern NH snow loads? After reading this I am thinking of doing what Pauls said. I might dump whats in there late fall then put back on, those oak leaves are very stubborn.

Also, re pillows/balloons, lots of them, but big? Small?

I have found that if you keep the cover dry (which is impossible if you have a leaky old cover) then leaves are easy to take care of with a leaf blower. When it rains, I make it a point to get the water off the cover ASAP. That wa the leave don't stick, and they can just be blown off. Of course, if you cover is old and the pool water seeps up through the weave, then there is not much you can do.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

17. Back To Top    #17

I haven't tried it yet since this is only my 3rd year... But my father in law uses 2 covers.. When he buys a new one... He puts the old one on top... Says it makes the new one last longer... Used to get 2 years out of his cover... Now he says he can get 4-5 years... And he just buys regular cheap covers... Figure it's worth a shot

13,500 gallon AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Raypak Natural Gas Heater