SW Chicago/IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have a Dolphin Oasis Z5 (very similar to the M500 and M400). I have tried all of the different positions on the handle floats, and still cannot seem to get it to climb our walls. It will go vertical, but just will not get off the floor. I have read a few other places that water chemistry and the robot's filters can also effect wall climbing, and have tried playing with those to no avail. I am thinking it may be that the pool is fiberglass and the sides are just too slick for it to grip? Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Chris,

I suggest you call Maytronics and see what they have to say.. Sounds like it is bad to me.

In their aid they say it works on the following "Surfaces: Vinyl, gunite/concrete, fiberglass, tile"...

Jim R.

It is a new unit and we started using it in mid June when we finished the pool. I have been getting used to everything else, so I did not pay too much attention until recently. I have not called Maytronics yet, but have just looked at their troubleshooting page. I am hoping to get a chance to call later this week.

It does try to climb the walls, as it goes vertical, but just cannot get off the floor. The brushes just spin, then stop and it backs up. It does makes it onto the first step, but that's it.

Thanks for the help.

just to follow up on what Dibbler said above. Your unit does have a "fast" mode and the instructions say.. "•When choosing the fast cleaning cycle the pool cleaner will not climb walls."

Do you have the remote? Might want to make sure you are not in the fast cleaning mode.

If this were my problem, my wife would be saying to me, in a sarcastic voice... "Instructions? I don't need no darn instructions" .. :D

Jim R.

It has never climbed, so I doubt it is the impeller but will check anyways. I forgot about the different modes, as I don't typically use the remote. I will have to check if it got into fast mode somehow. Thanks everyone for the help. I'll try to play with it again after work tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another thing you might try is replacing the brushes and the tracks, as they get older they get less pliable
Since the OP bought it in June I suspect the components are probably OK. Like other posters though, I'd almost bet it's set for "Fast Mode." Mine does exactly what's described when it's set to fast - it hits a wall, goes vertical, and then reverses. Also, mine doesn't like climbing with the pleated paper filters installed. It does better on the walls with the screen filters. I guess the pleated filters don't allow enough flow volume to keep it stuck to the wall.

I got a chance to play with my robot during lunch today, and you guys were right, it was on quick clean mode. My control box only has an on/off button and the mode is set on the remote (one of the differences between mine and the M500). I have always just used the on/off and assumed it was the full clean setting. Changed the setting on the remote and up the walls it went. I did check the impeller as well, and while I do not think it was impeding anything, there was more hair than I though there would be. I will have to check it more often.

Thanks again for the great support from everyone.

Glad I found this thread. I too just hit the square power button. Didn't even realize it had different modes as mine wasn't climbing walls either. Thanks for clarifying this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to bring up an old thread - but just want to say how once again TFP has proven to be a great resource for a new pool owner! Zoey, our M400 wouldn’t climb the walls, and I didn’t know why. It turns out the impeller was chock full of hair…gross! But now that it’s out, she works great again!

Sorry to bring up an old thread - but just want to say how once again TFP has proven to be a great resource for a new pool owner! Zoey, our M400 wouldn’t climb the walls, and I didn’t know why. It turns out the impeller was chock full of hair…gross! But now that it’s out, she works great again!
Glad you got it figured out. How long has Zoey been in action? My "Rosie" has been in action for about 3 months, and all is well with her, but just wondering if the impeller needs checked. Is it worth it to open her up and check, or just wait for problems?

Glad you got it figured out. How long has Zoey been in action? My "Rosie" has been in action for about 3 months, and all is well with her, but just wondering if the impeller needs checked. Is it worth it to open her up and check, or just wait for problems?
I’d say check it out - it is 2 Phillips screws. Right on top of the unit. The first screw releases the cover and the second is right in the center of the impeller. It is literally a 3 min or less job.
Zoey has been in action since early June, so only 2.5 months. We have a golden retriever that somehow contributes lots of hair to the pool even though he doesn’t swim, along with several girls with long hair… so it isn’t surprising. I mean I have the same issue with our house vacuum cleaner, so I don’t know why I didn’t expect the same in the pool!

Good luck!

Reactions: SecoSteve
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.