Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin will not climb the walls

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin will not climb the walls

We have a Dolphin Oasis Z5 (very similar to the M500 and M400). I have tried all of the different positions on the handle floats, and still cannot seem to get it to climb our walls. It will go vertical, but just will not get off the floor. I have read a few other places that water chemistry and the robot's filters can also effect wall climbing, and have tried playing with those to no avail. I am thinking it may be that the pool is fiberglass and the sides are just too slick for it to grip? Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
    15,000 gal fiberglass pool with built in spa and tanning ledge (Leisure Pools Ultimate 35), Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Intelliflo XF spa pump, Pentair 250k heater, Easytouch 8 with Screenlogic, Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter, 4 GloBright Pool Lights, 1 GloBright Spa Light, Coverstar Auto Cover, Interfab X-treme 2 Slide, 4 deck jets, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin will not climb the walls

Chris,

I suggest you call Maytronics and see what they have to say.. Sounds like it is bad to me.

In their aid they say it works on the following "Surfaces: Vinyl, gunite/concrete, fiberglass, tile"...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this a brand new unit? Has it ever climbed (or even tried to climb)?
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

It is a new unit and we started using it in mid June when we finished the pool. I have been getting used to everything else, so I did not pay too much attention until recently. I have not called Maytronics yet, but have just looked at their troubleshooting page. I am hoping to get a chance to call later this week.

It does try to climb the walls, as it goes vertical, but just cannot get off the floor. The brushes just spin, then stop and it backs up. It does makes it onto the first step, but that's it.

Thanks for the help.
    15,000 gal fiberglass pool with built in spa and tanning ledge (Leisure Pools Ultimate 35), Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, Intelliflo XF spa pump, Pentair 250k heater, Easytouch 8 with Screenlogic, Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter, 4 GloBright Pool Lights, 1 GloBright Spa Light, Coverstar Auto Cover, Interfab X-treme 2 Slide, 4 deck jets, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

You do know that it does not climb the walls on every pass. I don't remember the exact count, but it only climbs up the wall once out of every 5 or 6 passes.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just a thought, I have a Zodiac, it has 2 modes, one it climbs the walls, one it does pretty much what you describe, it also doesn't like climbing when the bag is full
    --
    8M x 4M Inground Concrete, 40k Litres, Waterline Tiles/Quartzon, Viron P320 VS Pump, Sand Filter(Glass Media) Astral VX-9 SWCG, Heatpump w/ Solar Cover. Zodiac V3 4WD Robot. Bullfrog A8D Spa(1800Litres).
    --

7. Back To Top    #7

just to follow up on what Dibbler said above. Your unit does have a "fast" mode and the instructions say.. "•When choosing the fast cleaning cycle the pool cleaner will not climb walls."

Do you have the remote? Might want to make sure you are not in the fast cleaning mode.

If this were my problem, my wife would be saying to me, in a sarcastic voice... "Instructions? I don't need no darn instructions" ..

Jim R.

8. Back To Top    #8

check the impeller. The water flow is used to push the not to the wall for traction
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howard View Post
    check the impeller. The water flow is used to push the not to the wall for traction
    True dat. My wife noticed that our S300 was not climbing the other day. Sure enough the impeller had several strands of hair caught inside which impeded its free rotation. The strands were the same color and length as my wife's. Hmmmm....
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

10. Back To Top    #10

It has never climbed, so I doubt it is the impeller but will check anyways. I forgot about the different modes, as I don't typically use the remote. I will have to check if it got into fast mode somehow. Thanks everyone for the help. I'll try to play with it again after work tomorrow.

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you plug it in and then just hit the "on" button? If you hit "on" and then the cycle button you will change from default to a different cycle.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

12. Back To Top    #12

Another thing you might try is replacing the brushes and the tracks, as they get older they get less pliable
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Another thing you might try is replacing the brushes and the tracks, as they get older they get less pliable
    Since the OP bought it in June I suspect the components are probably OK. Like other posters though, I'd almost bet it's set for "Fast Mode." Mine does exactly what's described when it's set to fast - it hits a wall, goes vertical, and then reverses. Also, mine doesn't like climbing with the pleated paper filters installed. It does better on the walls with the screen filters. I guess the pleated filters don't allow enough flow volume to keep it stuck to the wall.
    15,000 gallon 16x30 IG w/vinyl liner built in 2006, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, Taylor K2006.

14. Back To Top    #14

I got a chance to play with my robot during lunch today, and you guys were right, it was on quick clean mode. My control box only has an on/off button and the mode is set on the remote (one of the differences between mine and the M500). I have always just used the on/off and assumed it was the full clean setting. Changed the setting on the remote and up the walls it went. I did check the impeller as well, and while I do not think it was impeding anything, there was more hair than I though there would be. I will have to check it more often.

Thanks again for the great support from everyone.

15. Back To Top    #15

Glad I found this thread. I too just hit the square power button. Didn't even realize it had different modes as mine wasn't climbing walls either. Thanks for clarifying this!

17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

16. Back To Top    #16

Miles,

They generally don't climb the walls on every pass either... I forget the exact ratio, but I believe that they only climb once out of every three passes or so.

Jim R.