New pool owner in AZ with new TF-100 kit

Jul 15, 2016
Peoria AZ
Hello Everyone!

We just moved to AZ and I am a first time pool owner and I am trying to play catchup. The pool turned a little green a couple weeks ago and I tested with my old test kit and it hardly had any chlorine left, so I added a quite a bit of liquid chlorine and have been adding some almost daily as needed. I also have been adding some muriatic acid to lower the PH and the pool has become much clearer. The SWG is on its last legs and I have been adding extra chlorine to make up for it's poor performance. I'm thinking I will buy another SWG generator early next spring and use it seasonally during the late spring through early fall. I would like to understand more of what my pool needs and try to schedule additives and regular maintenance as needed which is why I bought the TF-100 and it's great. We have three kids and because of this the pool is being used heavily.

Please take a look at my initial readings and see if anything stands out.

Thank you all in advance

Ryan

My initial results with my TF-100
FC 1
CC .5
T 1.5
CH 200
TA 310
CYA 90

CL .5 (added more liquid chlorine after test)
PH 7.2

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need to get some basics under your belt to understand what we teach.

1. Get your CYA to 70 as suggested

2. Get your chlorine up to about 4 ppm. Raise it with Clorox.....don't try to do it with your SWG....it's too slow.

What does your water look like?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Water is looking good now, not "great" but good. I have been reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" in doses, there is a lot of good info there and it's taking some time to digest. Will work on the chlorine and CYA and will report back.

Thank you.

Ryan

It's possible your SWG would function just fine if it were only replenishing the 2-3 ppm of Chlorine your pool should be losing every day.

I think it makes sense to see if you have an algae bloom by performing an Overnight Chlorine Loss test. If you pass that test, add as much liquid chlorine/bleach as pool math recommends to get your FC level to the target for a CYA of 90. Then, let your SWG work on just maintaining. It will struggle if it is in catch-up mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.