Intex Ultra 18 sand pump breaker gets tripped w external timer or power fail, mod?

I have the 2800 gallon or so sand pump with the pool, as well as the salt water pump. I thought i could get around the issue of times when backwashing or vacuuming is needed and the pump needs shut off, losing the built in timer setting.. by using a separate timer.. and toggling the on/off mode when such maintenance was needed..

I could have sworn the pump was coming on and off just fine with this timer, but maybe not.. i think it just was on 24/7 because when i fine tuned things and tested it over night after being off.. the next morning the sand pump wasnt on even though the salt pump was lit up.

It seems if you kill power to it or use another timer, the reset breaker gets tripped and you have to push it to get it to come back on.. (the intex saltwater system doesnt have this issue).

Has anyone found a workaround for this or maybe a mod to the plug.. Is this normal for this intex sand pump to get tripped on power failure/timer shut off?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have the 2800 gallon or so sand pump with the pool, as well as the salt water pump. I thought i could get around the issue of times when backwashing or vacuuming is needed and the pump needs shut off, losing the built in timer setting.. by using a separate timer.. and toggling the on/off mode when such maintenance was needed..

I could have sworn the pump was coming on and off just fine with this timer, but maybe not.. i think it just was on 24/7 because when i fine tuned things and tested it over night after being off.. the next morning the sand pump wasnt on even though the salt pump was lit up.

It seems if you kill power to it or use another timer, the reset breaker gets tripped and you have to push it to get it to come back on.. (the intex saltwater system doesnt have this issue).

Has anyone found a workaround for this or maybe a mod to the plug.. Is this normal for this intex sand pump to get tripped on power failure/timer shut off?

Thanks for any suggestions.
This is normal behavior, and I believe it's normal for any GFCI type plug.

I cut off the GFCI plug and installed a standard Edison plug. I have my timer (and solar controller) plugged into a GFCI outlet, and the pump plugs into the timer.

This is normal behavior, and I believe it's normal for any GFCI type plug.

I cut off the GFCI plug and installed a standard Edison plug. I have my timer (and solar controller) plugged into a GFCI outlet, and the pump plugs into the timer.

My main outlet outside is GFCI.. is there a certain type of plug you used.. i have one that you can wire the bare wires into directly, but i'm not sure if its rated for out door use or if that matters? My timer hangs down under my outlet with the cover, so the plug would be exposed.

I had to do the same thing. I just cut it off and put on a normal plug. My timer has a cover over the outlets to protect the plug from the weather.

All my electrical is inside a weather resistant box that I bring indoors for winter:
image.jpg

The box on the top left gets its power from a nearby GFCI outlet. The box on the bottom left is where the pump plugs in, and that box plugs into the digital timer in the center, and is also connected to the solar controller on the right.

All my electrical is inside a weather resistant box that I bring indoors for winter:
View attachment 53479

The box on the top left gets its power from a nearby GFCI outlet. The box on the bottom left is where the pump plugs in, and that box plugs into the digital timer in the center, and is also connected to the solar controller on the right.

Thats a nice box you have going on there.

In my case I just have three dual outlet receptacles, with boxes over them, the clear kind.. one of which has the timer, which has to hang down on the outside.. these all on the 6" part of my deck thats below the flooring in the back corner on the outer edge.

I wasnt sure if this is the right type of plug or not.. i'm pretty sure i have one like it at home already..
Amazon.com: Hubbell Insulgrip Heavy Duty 5-15P Edison, Male Plug, Black (HBL5266CM2): Musical Instruments

Any harm in having it outside off the timer in the weather.. or should i find some way to at least cover it alone if possible..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.