Sub-panel installation dilemma

mvoltin

Silver Supporter
Aug 1, 2016
atlanta, GA
Trying to figure out the best placement for my sub-panel and reading electrical codes did not provide a clear answer. So, here is the situation:
  1. Equipment pad is about 25' from the house (main panel is also about 25' away - just inside the wall on the side of the pool).
  2. I am running 1.5HP VS pump (about 8amps at 240V), chlorinator, gas heater (0.3amps) and two LED lights.
  3. planning to put 30AMP double GFCI for the subpanel which should be plenty.

I have two options for the sub-panel location:
  1. Install the sub-panel next the main panel inside the basement and then run lines to the pump (240v requires 14Gauge wires up to 50' per installation manual) and couple 110V lines for everything else.
  2. or run a feeder line to the sub-panel mounted at the equipment pad.

I prefer the first option (indoor sub-panel installation) but wanted to make sure I am not overlooking something or violating any codes?
thanks

Mike

You must have a disconnect within sight of the equipment so you might as well put the sub panel at the equipment pad, it will also cost less since you will be able to run fewer circuits/conductors back to the house. Take a look at THIS

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.