Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sub-panel installation dilemma

1. Back To Top    #1

Sub-panel installation dilemma

Trying to figure out the best placement for my sub-panel and reading electrical codes did not provide a clear answer. So, here is the situation:
    1. Equipment pad is about 25' from the house (main panel is also about 25' away - just inside the wall on the side of the pool).
    2. I am running 1.5HP VS pump (about 8amps at 240V), chlorinator, gas heater (0.3amps) and two LED lights.
    3. planning to put 30AMP double GFCI for the subpanel which should be plenty.

I have two options for the sub-panel location:
    1. Install the sub-panel next the main panel inside the basement and then run lines to the pump (240v requires 14Gauge wires up to 50' per installation manual) and couple 110V lines for everything else.
    2. or run a feeder line to the sub-panel mounted at the equipment pad.

I prefer the first option (indoor sub-panel installation) but wanted to make sure I am not overlooking something or violating any codes?
    thanks

Mike
    17 by 12 by 5 in-ground pool. Total of 8,000 gallons. Picture is coming soon.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sub-panel installation dilemma

You must have a disconnect within sight of the equipment so you might as well put the sub panel at the equipment pad, it will also cost less since you will be able to run fewer circuits/conductors back to the house. Take a look at THIS
    Last edited by atttech-2; 08-16-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: clarifying statement
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Are you installing automation?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Best Practices is to install a sub panel next to the equipment so it can act as a disconnect (it must have less than six throws). If you are installing automation it may include a subpanel in the control box.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I was planning on installing automation - i guess I will go with the sub-panel on the outside. Thanks for your advice.
    17 by 12 by 5 in-ground pool. Total of 8,000 gallons. Picture is coming soon.