Building a Pool with outdoor kitchen and garage - Need advice

Hi! My husband and I are new to the pool world and are preparing to take on this project. The project includes outdoor kitchen, pool/spa and garage addition. We are conflicted about a couple of things. 1st, the outdoor kitchen will be off our our master bedroom. Do we have double doors (that will be locked so that the kiddos dont walk through) or just do a wall with 3 or 4 large windows. The rendering has doors, but we arent sure about that since it actually looks right into the outdoor kitchen area. There really isnt another good place for us to put the outdoor kitchen so we are having to put it there...Also, any ideas on the Ozone system vs salt water pool? The guy that we are currently working with highly recommends the ozone system but everyone is telling us to do saltwater... Any help would be amazing!

Moore #2_004.jpgView attachment Moore pool specs.pdf

Here is a pretty good thread about Ozone - in short, I believe most of us think it's a waste of money. Get an SWG. :)

Ozone Claims

The kitchen problem is a tough one. On the one hand, having the doors there might allow easy access to the bathroom (albeit the master bath). On the other hand, I agree that the view might not be all you could wish. I'm not sure what limitations you're working under, but why not slide it more towards the garage to "clear" up the sightline from the master? My favorite thing about our pool is raising the roller shutters in the morning and being greeted with a beautiful pool view out of our large master windows. It seems to me that there must be some creative way to relocate it a little to "fix" that problem - but I know I don't know all of the different limitations you're working under.

If you're going to leave the kitchenette there, I'd personally not do the doors and just have a row of windows the size of the two that are currently flanking the doors instead. I think it would be awkward otherwise.

Position kitchen with prevailing summer wind in mind.

Don't want to fight the grill smoke all day

Also will the current plan extend your usage of the kitchen during the winter? Will you essentially carry prepared meat thru the MB?

I would slide the kitchen to the left side and extend the balcony floor somehow. Can you post current pic of area? That would leave a nice view of pool from MB.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

Thanks for the comments! It's good insight. We plan on putting a bathroom in the garage so no one has to access the master bath. The doors and windows were as you know, just for viewing purpose so I hate that it's blocked by the kitchenette.

Our current house looks like the attached. The wall between the backporch and the lower roof is the bedroom portion with the rest being the bath.

With the height of the upstairs balcony (being higher) and the roofline towards the front of the house we are struggling with the most cost effective way of tieing the rooflines together. Currently there is just a step down off of the backporch. We planned to level that all off as you see in the pool pics.
IMG_7304.jpg

Do you need the roll up door on the back of the garage? Could you move the door to the side of the garage and move the kitchen to the back of garage and extend the garage roofline to cover it if you have room.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

I would have a door from the master bedroom. Your kids won't be there forever. Make sure you consider the wind when you place the kitchen, no reason to fight the smoke. Wrapping the 2nd story balcony around would be a nice look. Changing the roof line would not be a big cost compared to the total project to balance the look and optimize the space available. Covered shaded area is always good in our part of the country.

I would have a door from the master bedroom. Your kids won't be there forever. Make sure you consider the wind when you place the kitchen, no reason to fight the smoke. Wrapping the 2nd story balcony around would be a nice look. Changing the roof line would not be a big cost compared to the total project to balance the look and optimize the space available. Covered shaded area is always good in our part of the country.

OP what is this door on first floor?

5e443b941512eae72fead1ebc4d37978.jpg

--------------

I would reconsider the garage placement if you really intend to use it to store motorized vehicles. It appears to be very close to the pool and looks like it would be difficult to get even a riding mower through there. But perhaps you plan to access the garage from another side? It's hard to believe a professional would advise that design. Or is this a troll post?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The door you see is a door out of our master to the patio. I like the idea of figuring out a way to extend the patio roof and put the kitchenette out that way...definitely can't have enough shade around here!

So the pool designer is suggesting two doors in your master. Wow

Unless you're turning it into a den/family room id extend the patio roof out. That way you have less chance of leakage cutting Into wall to put a wall. Also give you a nice uncovered seating on second floor. Even add a circle stair case to go between. Pre wire for speakers and tv. You're set.

For garage go with low rise/run hip roof (no snow here to worry about) and gutter it all. Tie the gutter down spout(garage and house) into patio drains and over flow drain all to the street. Then door to bath/fridge/pool storage could stay in back.

--------------

Thanks for all of the info. The garage is for my husbands toys, but I think we've decided to scale back the job a little bit as we are getting on up there in price...In regards to the master bedroom doors, we had planned to close off that back wall with windows and door to existing patio so that we don't have 2 sets of doors going out.

Hi Kim and welcome.
I just wanted to add that I have a picture window in my mb that overlooks the pool.
IMHO, I would not obscure your view via the outdoor kitchen. Its a wonderful thing to lie in bed and watch the early morning sunrise on the water ;)

Also keep in mind that counters often get used as bars during parties...not ideal if you're in bed and teens are having a party ;)

My vote would be to create the outdoor kitchen on the face of the garage and to create a side access for lawn equip/toys etc. if you're installing a bathroom in there anyway you've got water.

Thanks so much! Another question regarding the pool...If our pool is 20' wide x 32' long, 97' perimeter, free form, does it sound right to be 13,439 gallons? We are such visual people and on paper it looks like a decent size pool but to not even be 16,000 gallons we feel like it's going to be tiny...thoughts? We were thinking a 16-19,000 gallon pool so when we got that info we were a little alarmed.

Volume sounds right with a baja shelf and the larger part of the surface area in the shallow end. to some degree I think how big or small a pool seems has more to do with the surrounding yard than the pool it's self. I have a friend that has a 28K pool that looks like a normal size pool in his yard that is 15,000 sqft. Ours was going to be 16K but we too put in a large baja and large shallow end we like the size. The kids have more than enough deep end that 4 of them can be jumping in at the same time without danger and the adults have plenty of space too. One bonus is a small volume takes less chemicals and warms faster although in TX the warmth might be a downside. If you are still concerned about it I would ask the PB to come out and paint the perimeter on the grass now, they usually do that right before the dig but if you think you might want a change sooner would be a good idea.
IMG_1245.jpg IMG_0870.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.