Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Convince me when I should be running my Stenner.

1. Back To Top    #1

Convince me when I should be running my Stenner.

So currently I run my full dose at the end of the day because I am of the mindset that the sun is off of the pool by then and I would have full strength dose for the night. Then through the day, the FC is burned off by the sun with enoughresidual to last until the nightly dose. (Cl coasts down to 3-3.5)

Here is the rest of the info:
    Solar and pump runs 10am to 6:30pm for now
    Dose ends at 6pm
    Our primary swim time has shifted to 5:30-8:00pm
    Dosing time is about 23-28 minutes to add about 2ppm and bring pool to 5-5.5 ppm Cl
    We have very good circulation, so I'm guessing the Cl disperses fast.

I was considering running the pump later and turning the solar off, say until 9pm then ending the dose around 8:30

The other option I was considering was a morning/noon/end of day dosing schedule. (Or even hourly small dose)

I am looking for additional pros and cons of these dosing schedules or any other options I'm not considering. Thanks!
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Convince me when I should be running my Stenner.

From my experience it does not matter when or how many times you does. However I have found I don't like to dose when we are swimming, I too have good circulation but I swear I smell chloramine on my skin if I am in the pool while it's dosing (could be all in my head). For this reason I does twice once around 9:00PM and again around 11:00 AM both are times we are unlikely to be in the pool. The 9:00PM does is the bulk of the chlorine add aprox 75% of what I use and I never adjust the amount for that does. If I need more or less FC I adjust the 11:00 AM does up or down.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm with you, there is just something that doesn't feel right dosing while swimming. I make my kids wear goggles for later swims. I guess that's what prompted my question in the first place.
    Build Video 2016 -- Solar Pad 20.5K gunite (37'x15') rectangle (3.5'-7') deep-- MicroFusion Laguna finish -- Jandy VS pump, cartridge and iAqualink RS -- Polaris 360 Black -- 2 Laminar jets -- 2 nichless 30w color led -- 550sq/ft Heliocol solar -- Soft water auto fill -- Stenner 17gpd

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the 3 gpd Stenner. The filter pump runs from 9am - noon & 6pm -9pm.
    The Stenner runs from 10:30 -11:00 in the morning & 7:00 - 8:00 in the evening.
    As others have said I don't think it makes much difference but I also like having the major part of the dosing in the evening.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like you have it figured out. I will say that since my Stenner is on a new digital timer, and the pool pump is still on an old mechanical timer, I schedule the chlorine injections to be 3 hours inside the filter pump on/off times to account for any timer drift and short power outages.
    20x35 in-ground oval. Wet Edge Luna Quartz finish. Hayes Super Pump with AO Smith V-Green 165 VS motor. Polaris 380. Enersol solar heating with automatic controller. Automated chlorination with Stenner pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

I do hourly small doses throughout the daylight hours to keep my FC at a constant level during sun burn-off.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RonsPlc View Post
    I do hourly small doses throughout the daylight hours to keep my FC at a constant level during sun burn-off.
    When you do that, do you attempt to keep FC at target? Seems like it would be safer, but use more chlorine.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCannonball View Post
    When you do that, do you attempt to keep FC at target? Seems like it would be safer, but use more chlorine.
    Yes... I keep FC mid way in my target zone... for me that is 6 my zone is between 4 and 8.
    14600 gal Intex 24' Round 52" deep AG Pool (Heavily Modified)
    200lb sand filter w/2 speed 1.5/0.5hp pump
    Stenner 45MHP10 Liquid Chlorine (well... bleach) Injector. Borates added.
    K-2006 test kit w/Speedstir
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I run one cycle in the evening and measure FC in the evening prior to the Stenner coming on. I aim for a FC of 5 (end of day) with a CYA of 65 (~7.5-8%). So far, no problems with algae.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.