Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you actually use your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often do you actually use your pool?

It seems like I spend a lot more time taking care of mine than I actually spend using it. This is mostly because we are in full shade by late afternoon. We generally use ours once per week from late May to early September. If I divide up our expenses related to pool ownership we are probably paying $50 each time we swim once a week for a few months. Surprisingly though I am still really glad to have a pool. I get a certain amount of enjoyment just from looking at it.
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How often do you actually use your pool?

We start swimming as soon as the water is in the 70's, usually around the end of May. Once the kids are out of school we swim pretty much every day the weather will allow us to.

Our pool is in full shade after 2:30pm or so, but with water temps well into the upper 80's right now (91 yesterday) that shade is perfect.

Our season is short here in the North East, so we try to swim as much as possible as the entire family really enjoys it.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My main problem is that I suck at remembering to put the solar cover on. I can get up to about 90 if I use it regularly but I usually don't.
    15k gal freeform sport pool with rock waterfall. Replastered 5/2016 with Tahoe Blue Quartzscapes
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit
    Jacuzzi 2002 J 310

4. Back To Top    #4

On weekends when we're home, we're all in it on both days. Maybe two or three weeknights as well, depending on the weather and how hectic our schedules are. Even if we're not swimming, we still "use" it by sitting by it on the deck, and many evenings when I get home I'll pop outside for 10 minutes and sit with my feet in the pool.

And yeah, seeing it out the window is great too- even if I can't "use" it that day.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Our pool is in Chicago and we have a Early-May to Mid-September season. We're in every weekend, many evenings after work and family members/friends with little kids use it during the week. I spend very little time maintaining it; check chems every other day (unless we have heavy use), drop the robot in and skim leaves from the surface as needed.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a 4 year old boy that swims almost everyday May thru September. He gets in about 5pm on weekdays, and gets out at bed time. We cook and watch tv outside almost everyday of the year. Our outdoor kitchen and entertainment area was the best improvement we have made. I wished we had built it years ago.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

7. Back To Top    #7

we use our pool both days on weekends and 3 or 4 evenings during the week, on average. we also will have friends or family over twice a month or so to swim on a weekend
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm retired and use the pool for exercise (laps). During the season, I swim every day, and sometimes twice a day (morning, to wake up, and evening, to refresh)
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

If it's nice outside, I'm in the pool at least 2-3 times every day. Some of it to cool down, some of it for exercise (I've lost 15 lbs just swimming this season)

I start swimming in mine the day the water is at least 78 degrees (usually first weekend of may) and continue until it falls below that usually late september early october.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

I usually spend at least 15 minutes in my pool after I get home from working outside all day, if not just to rinse off and a quick cool down. On the weekend I spend up to 2 hours each day floating around listening to music.

Summer goes fast, enjoy it while you can.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DaneCE View Post
    On the weekend I spend up to 2 hours each day floating around listening to music.
    I'm not one for meditation, but floating in the pool on the weekends and watching the patterns of the clouds and trees against the sky certainly eases the stress of the workweek.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    I'm not one for meditation, but floating in the pool on the weekends and watching the patterns of the clouds and trees against the sky certainly eases the stress of the workweek.
    Same here!

13. Back To Top    #13

We use ours 3-4 days out of the week. Hubby likes to float but I like to be in the water and swim.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Our pool is open all year, and from early spring through October I'm in it most days. Once the daily high temps settle into the 60s, we will heat the pool once in awhile and more frequently heat the spa. A dip into chilly pool water after heating up in the spa is heaven. January through mid-March are tough months because it's mostly too cold to swim, and running the gas heater all the time is too expensive. Leaf fall and pollen fall in February and March have me grumbling lots about the time I spend taking care of the pool when it's too cold to swim.
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

15. Back To Top    #15

I would have answered sooner, but I was in my pol.

Nuff said
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

This is my first time in my whole life to have a pool bigger than one of those little plastic kiddie pools. My 8 year old daughter and I have swam everyday except when it rains since May 1st and we are gonna keep at it until the pool reaches 75. This has been the best summer because I haven't heard the dreaded words "I'm bored." I didn't find out about TFPC until mid July and was being pool stored so I'm excited for next year when I put in the upgraded pump, SWG, and in the wall skimmer. I feel like then I will only be in maintenance phase instead of fixing all the issues from being pool stored and get to enjoy the pool even more.
    22' Round x 52" deep Coleman AGP, 12,500 gallons. Filled 5-1-16. XtremePowerUSA 4500 GPH 19" Sand Filter w/1.5 HP Pump. Hayward Dyna-Skim In The Wall Skimmer. Hard Plumbed w/2" PVC. PVC Aerator. Pentair Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Above Ground Pool Cleaner. Whitesboro, TX (North Texas). Taylor K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chorine FAS-DPD.

17. Back To Top    #17

I don't spend any where's near what it takes me to maintain it. But my granddaughter likes to swim.
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

18. Back To Top    #18

Almost daily usually in evenings for you know what..,. Heated small pool is extra large hot tub
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

19. Back To Top    #19

we like to swim about every other day or so. Also we have an apartment above our garage that's used as an AirBnB so we have guests come stay with us frequently and they like to use the pool as well.
    Andy - 30' oval (13,500 gallons) IG, Painted Concrete, concrete surround. Pentair Sand Dollar SD4 sand filter and Pentair Pinnacle PFII-PI 3/4 HP single speed pump. Using Bleach/MA/Baking Soda and AquaCheck Test Strips.

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Larryh86GT View Post
    I don't spend any where's near what it takes me to maintain it. But my granddaughter likes to swim.
    I'm going to buy a heater for my granddaughter (she says it's her pool lol) for next year. I'll be closing the pool soon and I just know I'll get reamed by her but it'll be to cold to swim soon.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast